Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I find that used pill bottles, the kind that have a mail ordered 90 day supply in them, are very useful around firearms in general. They are great for organizing cleaning jags, tips, brushes, etc. by caliber, and also by rifle/pistol. This eliminates digging through a box for them or guessing which one is the right size. I often keep several new brushes in stock and usually can fit everything for 1 caliber inside a bottle. I keep an ammo box with cleaning supplies in general, solvents, oil, and patches, and I throw in the bottle(s) for the calibers I am going to go shoot when I leave for the range. A coated pistol rod will fit in to a .50 ammo can along with all else.
If you grind screwdriver bits for specific guns, again they are very useful to organize your bits at the bench top. You can create specific bits and cleaning brush/jag etc. sets for individual guns.

·
Registered
21,209 Posts
I use old CCI Mini-Mag boxes to keep my "stuff" in an organized pile.......on a make shift work bench, devoted to gun care. I like to call it.....organized mayhem!!! :lol: I can find anytihing I need in that pile.......just give me awhile!!!! :roll: Bob

·
Super Moderator
19,863 Posts
I use a clear plastic 1.5"x8"x16" flat tackle box. It cost about $5 and it has the little compartment dividers in them I set up the dividers so they fit the complete set of cleaning ends for each caliber size in it. I put labels on the lid over each divided section with the caliber sizes, so I just look at the top, open it and grab the set of ends I need. A few compartments hold my patches and bottles of cleaning solvent and little odds and ends. It also hold 2 cleaning rod sets so I have a short rod handle for my handguns, and the full set for my rifles.
Works perfect. I have 8 different caliber sets in it and they never get messed up.
Since it's designed to hold fishing tackle with scented worms and lures and scent bottles, the tackle box is chemical resistant, so my Hoppe's and gun oil doesn't melt it.

·
Registered
668 Posts
I have the luxury of enough space (FINALLY!!!) for an old metal desk organized with divided drawers for cleaners/oil/etc, brushes/jigs/patches, hand tools general, gunsmithery tools, a great center drawer for most-often used stuff.

Plus some other handy storage units. Old wooden pigeon hole mail box units come in handy.

It's also nice to arrange a dedicated loading bench with storage areas for supplies.

·
Super Moderator
19,863 Posts
M657 lgnngp Now you're going to make all of us feel inferior or something.
How long did it take for you to get a space that big?
The only way I'd ever have enough room for a cleaning desk would be if I put up the desk in my very cold unheated garage. And then I'd have to park the Jeep outside.
Here in North Idaho it's already been sub 20's for 4 days last week.

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Good ideas, folks...
I use a big Tupperware box, and keep jags, brushes, swabs, etc., in zip-lock baggies.
Everythings easy to see.
Always looking for better ideas, though, and I've picked up a few in this thread. kfjdrfirii
Don

G

·
When I started with Blackpowder and all the assorted stuff that came with the territory...I went over to the fishing tacklebox. It really does it all and is portable enough to carry on trips or to the range. It's amazing how easy it is to fill one up with "Stuff". :mrgreen:

giz

1 - 9 of 9 Posts