Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nothing exciting to post this week....

Ordered up a RK Lodges Wedge tent. Decided on a 10' by 10' with a 30 inch bell on one end. Not very exciting for you folks to talk about, but an interesting decision on my part. Canvas tents that recreate the earlier days are an investment. They don't come cheap! I went back and forth between this and a wall tent...and in the end decided to bite the bullet on this'n....Will carry better in a canoe...

On the other side, I'm lookin into building my own tarp tent or diamond. The cost of treating the canvas make it a sensible thing to do. May be a little labor, but some days I've got time on my hands. ;)

It will pack up and be easier to carry..requires only two woods poles cut on site, and will accomodate me and my partner (Buck the wonder Border Collie) on our treks...

Going up to the Old Boar's place to buy some more of his blacksmith acoutrements for my fire irons, this weekend....Hope to show you all the full set,.... cookin' up a weekends grub..soon!

giz

·
Super Moderator
8,955 Posts
OK Giz, you made me dig out a 10X10 tent I purchased years ago and never used. I am going to take my sons up to my Uncle's farm and camp out down back by the pond. I know it's not really roughing it like you do, but it's a start. I am actually excited about it. We will do a little shooting, fishing, swimming and just plain old having fun. I am trying to talk my wife into coming, but she doesn't want to "go" in the woods. LOL

·
Registered
256 Posts
Canoe camping, primitive style ?

Now we're talking ! kfjdrfirii

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hunter and Revorg...

Good on you guys....

Went to a country auction here in Maine. Time bein tough, there was a strip canoe that need a little repair. Not much, mind you... but they couldn't get an openin' bid of 100 dollars. Going back next week to see if I can buy it and repair it. Beamy sonna a gun....should be fine for runnin' the rivers and streams, light for portages.

Might have to talk the little woman into doing the Chain of Ponds this Summer :) Now that would be cool.....

giz

·
Registered
256 Posts
I spent most of the summers while in my teens on a lake with an old canvas covered rowing canoe... that thing would cover the miles with smiles. Lots of sun rises and sun sets, plenty of fishing... even a few trips with young ladies. :D

The only canoe around the place now is a fiberglass Old Town... not even a pleasant color. I really should do something about this appalling lack of appropriate watercraft. :cry:

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
I think I've mentioned it before, but I have an Officer's Wall Tent from Panther Primitives. I love it. Before and while I was building the cabin out at the Peach Orchard, that is what I lived in. I had a stove jack and sod flap installed. Pretty neat.

Sometimes I'm jealous of you and your access to all that beautiful country you live in. *Sigh* Oh, well, I'll just have to make do with what I've got. In fact, I'm headed out to the Peach Orchard later today. I've finished packing guns & ammo. Now I'm off to buy grub and booze. Take care.

·
Registered
19,790 Posts
Giz, It's hard to believe that you've actually got "time on my hands". You've got to be the most "busiest" guy that I know!!!! Going to work must give you a rest from all the activities. But.....I want to know.....how do you ever find time to post as much as you do???? You're gonna drop dead from exhaution!!! ' klmgzdo; happyroller Bob

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well the tent showed up...and I'm tickled pink. Never expected such quality. Have to make up the tent poles. Going out to cut some black spruce tomorrow. Friend is forging up the 18 tent pegs that I need over the weekend. Having a bell style tent should give me all the extra storage I need for a longer 'Vous... ;) Need to get the sucker really dirty before folks start accusing me of being a Pilgrim... :mrgreen:

Next up is getting the camp furniture together. I'm relying on pickers and friends to find that stuff. Sounds simple, but to get a period correct set of gear together that looks right is all but impossible. The next big 'Vous is in October and that doesn't leave much time....

giz

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
giz,
I'm proud to know ya' ! hpzl;n;
Another 'analog guy living in a digital world'
Don
;)

·
Registered
497 Posts
I second the motion of seeing pictures of the setup. I'm picturing the coolest image now of the period correct camp.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts