Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys just got myself an M&P10 and I need some optic advice.
This is my first rifle and I dont know much about optics. I'd like to spend no more than $500 (mount included)
Im going to be using the rifle for hunting, and range shooting and home defense. I'd like to perhaps to be able to shoot up to 500 yards though It will probably be hard to find a
place to shoot that distance in MA. I've been looking at the Nikon M-308 BDC but was wondering if there are perhaps better optics out there for the price. Id like to get a set thats weight ideally under 20oz

Sorry if this topic has been beaten to death

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
My ex BIL gave me a long eye relief Burris scope 1-6x and I am amazed with it's clarity.
But I'm sure the Nikon scopes are really clear too.
One with a red dot and low power setting would be a good choice IMO for home defense.

·
Super Moderator
19,230 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Scopes

I'd be all over the M-308 scope for hunting and range time. As far as using the rifle for home protection, yes, it'll work in a pinch but defintely not the best tool for the job. Over penetration being a big problem and not even taking into account the length of your rifle and perhaps not a lot fo experience with CQB situations? If you can manage a handgun and a good flashlight you will be better off, IMHO. I have first hand experience what the M-308 is capable of at the range and in the field. It'll get the job done for you. One other suggestion might be Nikon's MONARCH 3 2.5-10x42 Matte BDC. One of my favorite scopes, low enough magnification for up close shots and the 10X will still get you on those longrange targets. Add in Nikon's Spot On Program to dial in your rifle,scope and ammo for maximum accuracy and you have a winning combination.

Here's a pic of the 2 M-308's I have on rifles.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have an Osprey 3x9 40mm on a Nikon P series mount. The mount give about 3/4" rise and you can offset the scope fore-aft. So far it's held up great holding zero. image.jpeg

·
Registered
23,200 Posts
I have a Nikon M-308 BDC mounted on my .308 Mauser & feel it's the best scope for the money anywhere. Not quite a mil-dot but w/ very similar marking & usefulness. I think you'd be very happy w/ it mounted on your M&P10.

·
Registered
19,415 Posts
The Westfield Sportsman's Cub has a 500 yd. range in Wmass. The Spfld. Sportrsman's Club in Monson, Ma., but is hard to locate in the back woods. Bob

·
Premium Member
2,847 Posts
The 500Yd distance got my attention "Big Ideas Small Thoughts'" applies. I'm not being rude but practical. A lot of shooters can't hit a GI-Can lid unless shooting of a bench rest on a calm day at that distance but they all want tactical cool optical package. Be more realistic and acquire shooting experience.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just bought a S&W M&P 10. this is the first semi auto rifle I’ve ever purchased. I am a veteran, I’ve been out since 2006, served as a Corpsman of Marines in Iraq with 3/25 Scout Snipers, I was cross trained on the rifle by the platoon but never made any decisions on optics. I’ve also not hand my hands on a weapon since 2006. My service weapon was an M16A4 with an ACOG, now that I’m going to shoot something a bit bigger with longer range I was pointed your direction. Bottom line, I don’t even know how to choose. I’d be using this for mostly target shooting and mid range tactical type courses. I guess I’m looking for something that can handle both mid to long range shooting but not necessarily focused on long range only. What advice can you give me, thanks!

·
Registered
461 Posts
Jimmy,

I don't know if you're wanting to dial or a use a BDC style reticle but I would look very hard at the SWFA Super Sniper scopes. I really like the 6X's but many are happy with the 1-4X's also. The mil quad works great if you don't want to dial.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the response, I will say I have a little more money to spend, somewhere is the $1500 range. Any ideas on a ACOG TA11E, I know it’s fixed but it seems to reach out to 800 meters. Like I said, I want the best if both worlds.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for the response, I will say I have a little more money to spend, somewhere is the $1500 range. Any ideas on a ACOG TA11E, I know it’s fixed but it seems to reach out to 800 meters. Like I said, I want the best if both worlds.
I'm in the same situation. I've been studying the ballistic trajectory of 175 gr SMK out of a M&P10 with a 16" barrel. I can't achieve a muzzle velocity out of that 16" barrel that will match up with any scopes BDC. I spoke with customer service at Trijicon and they mentioned TA11 and 2650 fps. I can't get 2650 out of that barrel. More like 2490. So long range shots will still require consulting a chart. That kinda defeats the purpose of a BDC.

Have you had any success?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts