Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has any one tried the OPS 9mm ammo from Ammo, inc.? I am wanting to give it a try as my personal/home defense ammo, but as it is only 85 grain I was wondering if it might create any FTE/FTF issues. I have also considered Civil Defence ammo by Liberty ammo.

·
Premium Member
717 Posts
JMHO- To my mind, weight equals penetration, vital in a defensive stop situation. I don’t like to sacrifice weight for speed, which is often the case in handgun ammo. I prefer bullet weight, but in special situations- apartment walls, single-story homes ,etc. frangible May be an excellent choice. In short barrels I think I’m already giving up some FPS. To give up bullet weight , too, is more than I want to do. I need every advantage I can get to walk away from a bad encounter! An addendum to that is that ammo choice is overrated. Bullet placement is critical in a stop. An FMJ that hits the central nervous system is far superior to a lightweight HP hit in the torso, unless the heart/ lung area is hit. Your assailant can still kill you while he bleeds out, if he has sufficient fight in him. YMMV. Hank PS- I have no combat experience. Been in three incidents, but have never fired a shot. I will gladly defer to those with real-world expertise!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I value your opinion. I have never carried a handgun so self defense ammo is a new beast to me. What struck me about frangible ammo is that in the case of a home invasion I am going to be on the move to get my daughter from her room at the other end of my house and should an intruder actually make it in and I need to fire my weapon in defense I don't want a round the is going to over penetrateand potentially enter my daughter's room. Any advice I can get to help make a sound decision either for or against frangible rounds that will lead me in the right direction is greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
717 Posts
JFo- You know your tactical situation best. As the CPT said, there are some YouTube videos above sheet rock penetration for various calibers. Maybe some help. Is it possible to set up at a choke point? Movement ( ie- room clearing) is/ can be very dangerous. Let them come to you ,if possible. Home defense is a challenging event. I applaud your planning. I hope you take it beyond your ammo choice. I learned early in my work that a cell phone could be a big help. 911, let the pros clear the house, you defend a choke point between the threat and your family. Situations vary. Thought/planning required. Hank

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
JFo- You know your tactical situation best. As the CPT said, there are some YouTube videos above sheet rock penetration for various calibers. Maybe some help. Is it possible to set up at a choke point? Movement ( ie- room clearing) is/ can be very dangerous. Let them come to you ,if possible. Home defense is a challenging event. I applaud your planning. I hope you take it beyond your ammo choice. I learned early in my work that a cell phone could be a big help. 911, let the pros clear the house, you defend a choke point between the threat and your family. Situations vary. Thought/planning required. Hank
I have set my house up and continue to make improvements as a hard traget. I have solar powered motion activated securrity lights set up. I have audible alarms on doors that it opened while activated will wake the dead and scare the hell out of anyone not expecting them to go off. My main mission is too keep any would be intruder from even wanting to go through the trouble and keep them outside. Should that not work my first line of defense is calling 911; however, I live about 30 minutes from the sheriff's office. Here is my biggest reason for needing to be selective about defense ammo. My wife and I must move to get our daughter from her room. Our rooms are separated at either end of our house. If an intruder came into our home from the living room end my daughter's room is on the other side of the living room wall. If there was over penetration it would pass into her room.

·
Registered
23,200 Posts
JFo, you're wise to think things out in advance since we react how we trained. Train your wife & daughter too so you're all on the same page. Maybe some thought ought to be put to getting to your daughters room & barricading there against intruders instead of getting her out. The cell phone thing is a great idea so you can communicate w/ the sheriff deputies, when they are clearing the house, they'll view all armed as combatants, even you, unless they know exactly where you are & what you look like. Words like" My wife daughter & I are locked in the bathroom to the left of the front door. We're wearing pajamas & I have a handgun" can save your tutu when they just confronted a scumbag in black w/ a shotgun who claims it's his house. An officer has to make a life & death decision in nanoseconds whether he's facing an excited homeowner running on adrenalin or a druggie running on meth.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
I am rather dubious on the Liberty in 9mm. I have carried it in .45acp, and .40. After watching testing of the 9mm I have no confidence in it. Too light. HST, Hydrashok, 124gr XTP+P. I am not a fan of the "Critical Defense." Too many tests where it doesn't spread.

Liberty has never had an issue feeding in anything that I am aware of. The length of your barrel is one factor in selecting ammo. Short barrels frequently benefit from 115, or 124 max weight ammo. +P can make up for the barrel. "Expansion threshold" is s key factor. I don't knowingly buy 147gr. Too many failures to expand out of 4" barrels and this would include the much worshiped "Gold Dot."

Get yourself to:
A: Advanced handgun training.
B: Night shooting and room clearing/light manipulation. A weapon mounted light is okay. I like having one that isn't mounted. They are a good/cheap start until you get a gun light. The night class I took was by a weapons training local cop. Nobody had a weapon mounted light.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Before I pose my reply, I apologize for the length of this preface, but feel a background explanation’s in order. My wife and I are elderly (late 60’a). Further, we’re both physically challenged. We don’t live in town, but rather out in the county. We’ve also been the intended victims of a home invasion on 2 separate occasions, both thwarted by sheer bluff.
The 1st occasion involved a man pounding on our front door demanding entrance. I have a shotgun, but it was in a closet upstairs. I told the intended intruder that I had it in hand, that I was aiming it at the door, that I was going to begin counting, and when I got to my “magic number” I was going to fire, blowing a hole in the door, and possibly in him, as well, should he remain standing there. I began counting, and when I looked thru the peep-hole in the door, he was running across the yard to the street – problem alleviated.
The 2nd occasion involved a man standing on our garage roof looking into my study window. Upon seeing him, my wife screamed. I pulled a junk/non-functional Colt 1911A1 from my bookcase, and held it up for him to see. He did, and went off of the roof in record time. By the time I got downstairs, and out thru the garage, he had gotten into his pickup truck, and was barreling down the street – again, problem alleviated.
After this 2nd occasion, we summoned the state police. They recommended that we obtain “easily handled”, weapons – handguns, and undergo the training for those guns. We did, and we have. She has a S&W Lady Smith .38 revolver, we “share” a Taurus Judge (loaded with .410 defense shells), and I have a S&W 460V revolver. Research revealed that a large gun with a lighter-load’s optimum for such situations – allowing for less recoil, less resultant muzzle flip, and thus quicker site reacquisition. Therefore, I have no plans to shoot S&W 460 Mag ammunition in this gun. Instead, I plan on shooting .45 Long Colt ammunition.
While I’d prefer to shoot ammunition with the Honey Badger bullet, I can’t locate any factory ammunition with that bullet available in either .38 or .45 LC ammunition. I don’t want to shoot bare lead (cleaning issues . . .), but would rather stick to jacketed/coated bullets, a frangible bullet, or even solid copper, or some other material. I’ve also considered Corbon’s Safety Slug Silver, and their Urban Response round. What I finally selected for both guns is Liberty Ammunition’s Civil Defense in both calibers, which the State Police said was an excellent choice, and their recommendation was a “deal-sealer” for me. Regards . . .

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
JFo, you're wise to think things out in advance since we react how we trained. Train your wife & daughter too so you're all on the same page. Maybe some thought ought to be put to getting to your daughters room & barricading there against intruders instead of getting her out. The cell phone thing is a great idea so you can communicate w/ the sheriff deputies, when they are clearing the house, they'll view all armed as combatants, even you, unless they know exactly where you are & what you look like. Words like" My wife daughter & I are locked in the bathroom to the left of the front door. We're wearing pajamas & I have a handgun" can save your tutu when they just confronted a scumbag in black w/ a shotgun who claims it's his house. An officer has to make a life & death decision in nanoseconds whether he's facing an excited homeowner running on adrenalin or a druggie running on meth.
What he Said!! ^^^^^^

1 - 10 of 10 Posts