Smith And Wesson Forums banner

Opinions/Recommendations for First S&W Revolver

2K views 20 replies 19 participants last post by  45acp230 
#1 ·
up to this time always shot semi auto or long rifle, however getting an itch to go down the revolver path now....so looking for thoughts in this regards....mostly target shooting, but always a backup for home defense. Looking at .38 Special and the 642 performance center, but a 357 is in for consideration as well. Just wondering forum opinions on other revolver owners in the regards......$$ consideration would be in the 600 or less range but might go higher if I find something I would really appreciate.

#2 ·
For me the first I would get would probably be a model 10, they can still be found in fine shape relatively inexpensively(most times), but the prices have been going up. In .357 it would be a toss up between a model 19 and a model 686 but I admit I pick those particular models since we have them here so plenty of experience with all three.

#4 ·
For your purposes, I would avoid any small frame guns and look at 4" K frames or L frames in 38 or 357

#6 ·
Model 10. .38 +p is plenty peppy of you feel the need for it. And you can get a nice one within your price range.
I have several Model marked and Pre models- can't go wrong with them
Gratuitous photo:

#8 ·
Start out with a 4 inch model 10, model 66 or model 686. Try and find one from a few years ago that is in good condition - something before the internal lock was added. There are likely a large number of used revolvers like those mentioned in the threat available since many were recently traded on newer semi-autos.

Reactions: Curt360 and jeepnut
#9 ·
Agree fully with the model 10. Keep in mind the 10 is a fixed sight revolver. Most of the 357 models in K,L,or N frames are adjustable sight. Also, can have the advantage of the 357 able to shoot 38, 38+P, and 357 mag. Other option would be a model 14 Target Masterpiece which are not near as available as the model 10s but should be in your price range.
Would recommend if possible to try to hold each type and see which fits you best. Happy hunting on your quest.

Reactions: Curt360
#11 ·
Agree with the rest in regard to getting a .357 (K,L,N) frame due to the fact you can also shoot .38sp. Good luck and keep us up to date on what you decide. :cool:

#12 ·
For your first revolver, it’s pretty difficult to beat, an L or N frame .357 mag. A “kitty cat” ( politically correct) to shoot and pretty versatile..... 38 Specials or a wide variety of .357 loaads to choose from!

Once you get comfortable with that, grab yourself a nice K-22 ( or similar platform), and a 629 or a X-Frame ( a 460 IMO) and you’ve got all the bases covered! memtb

Reactions: Curt360
#14 ·
Bought mine in 1980 so I know what you mean

#16 ·
thanks for all the recommendations, I did find a 686 Plus 4 inch barrel online for $680 plus my FFL transfer fee....so around $700 out the door and delivered.....think I'll be placing the order......distributor has 3 orders ahead and only three coming in but said he can probably get me one in 60 days or so........so not too bad.....for the pricing and availability

#17 ·
This is my keeper. My Model 60 Pro.

I paid less than these offers for mine.
Table Recreation Games Metal

#18 ·
I would suggest buying a new revolver if you can find and/or afford one. I haven't had success with purchasing used/older S&W revolvers.
I would purchase a .357 Magnum because it will handle .38 Special as well. It's cheaper to shoot .38s (under normal situations) and one has the option of the .357 ammo too.
Personally, I would not purchase another 6" 686. I'm not a fan but the full underlug. That said, my 696 is a fine weapon and great revolver.
The Performance Center revolvers cost more and I find that they are nicer operating revolvers.
I did purchase a used, 9mm, 986 and it is a delight to shoot.
Either revolver are good for target practice; the longer the barrel, the better.
Shotshells can be purchased for both the 38/357 and the 9mm revolvers. (I carry these when walking because there are coyotes in the area.)
IMHO

#20 ·
Many S&W wheel guns come and gone thru my gun safe over the years, but the ones that have stayed (forever) are the K/L frames for me. The 686 & 686+ in 38/357 being the best example as a great beginning into the revolver world. Also still have and love to shoot the 617 10-rd 22, pretty much the same gun as the 686(+). All SS, easy to clean, flawless reliability, very good accuracy.

#21 ·
FYI- The J frames (642) are more difficult to shoot well and are uncomfortable for many folks to shoot very much. It’s not a piece you will run a couple of hundred rounds through at the range! I agree on the K frame suggestions. A Model 15 Combat Masterpiece is an excellent choice in .38 Special. Or a Model 19/66 -( blue/ stainless)- if .357 Mag is your choice.

Question for hiketheball- What would you use shotshell cartridges for on coyotes? Hank

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.