Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have never owned an AR. The local pusher has several S&W Sport II's in stock priced at 799.00 + tax.
Seems to be the going price around these parts. Are they fairly accurate say out to 100 yds.? I'm thinking fun range rifle and occasional Ground Hog killer. I would probably scope it as my 70 yr. old eyes ain't what they once were. I have a Ruger Ranch rifle in a Hoague stock that I really like. I reduced the gas bushing to .060 and added a MO Rod. It will hold a 2" group out to 200 yds. with open sights. I'm lookin to add a scope to it as well. The Ruger however requires a good cleaning after every outing and is a bit partial to 223 ammo. Will I be satisfied with the AR platform in this price range?

·
Registered
12,915 Posts
I have an older Sport, and its quite accurate. Around here you can get a Sport II for a good amount less than $799, more like $579-599. Regardless of the price though, some of the more expensive offerings are the same barrel, bolt & all but with different handguards & butt stocks. Some have chrome lined barrels, but I dont think that is needed unless you fire thousands of rounds per year. Chrome lining makes the barrel last longer, but they are not more accurate

·
Registered
9,209 Posts
good luck with a frugal search mate, it will no doubt yield dividends.

thewelshm

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
The price seems just a touch high but .... If you never had an AR or variant .. They are incredibly easy to shot. Very very low recoil.
I dont currently own one but shot one like it in the service rather accurately, regularly out to 350 meters with peep sights. I have shot scoped ones out to 500 meters at some AZ ranges. I actually shot better with plain ol peep sights.
Its a fun gun and easy to handle and shot well and holds a ton of ammo for any occasion.
I cant see as how anyone could be disapointed after shooting one.

·
Registered
5,260 Posts
Your answer is probably not. If you have a Ruger that is shooting good groups like you described the keep it. If you really want an AR platform to produce ground hog accuracy them i would suggest a Match Barrel gun Colt Match Target or Sprinfield Armory or a heavy barrel Bushmaster or even get a custom gun made my Les Baer or Wilson combat. those guns with a good quality scope will produce MOA at 300 yards and beyond. the M-4 carbines are mainly CQB guns and not long range. I have both Rugers and Colts . Pay the extra bucks and get a Match grade AR platform and you will be kicking ground hog butt !!

·
Premium Member
10,968 Posts
You can save quite a bit of money, and have an excellent AR-15 based rifle or carbine by looking into some of the things offered by Palmetto State Armory. Sign up for their regular emails.

the products are high quality in my experience and they are mil-spec. You should be able to build up an M4 profile AR-15 for considerably less, or buy from them assembled. It's even possible to mate a fully assembled lower with a fully assembled upper and bolt/charger assembly when they are on sale - which is often.

I have built up a few rifles from components from PSA.

You can achieve quite reasonable 100 yard accuracy from a well made AR-15 platform.

Reactions: Charlie686

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Also .. if its going to be a fun toy .. check out

I think they are running some attractive specials right now. I have gotten some awesome deals through them.

There are toooooo many guys putting out AR's now for me to keep up on what is great and what isnt but I have a buddy with several $500 AR's he is thrilled with.

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I think I found the input I was looking for. I don't have the bigger bucks to get the match grade stuff so I'll look at PSA , Ruger and a few others before spending my cash. Thanks to everyone for your response.

·
Registered
4,633 Posts
Good luck in your search Charlie. I think you will really enjoy shooting the AR platform. Very easy to attach optics and modify various parts if you decide to do so after some experience. Also note that you can easily add uppers in other calibers, and barrel weight/lengths down the road, giving you a different gun.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts

1 - 10 of 10 Posts