Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After shooting and collecting guns for over 20 years, I am getting twitchy for my first 1911. I have spied a Colt Series 70 Gold Cup that I keep thiinking about, but would want to add an ambi safety (my friends here know I'm lefty), put a bigger beaver tail on it, and likely change the sights and trigger. Now the question is, do I need a Gold Cup to do this with. I already know the answer is no, but hey, it's a Gold Cup!

I like the looks of Kimbers, but they scare me. Some folks love 'em and others loath 'em. Springfields are nice too, but they seem to be scarce as hen's teeth here in Maine. So what's a guy to do? This would be a carry piece for me. I'm interested in your ideas. And Joni, thanks for your posts. I'm glad I am not the only one wanting to modify a Gold Cup. :ymapplause:

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
JMO, but if I was set on that particular Colt series, I would go find a plain and suitable Series 70 and add the drop-in parts to that. If you're so concerned about bullseye accuracy, then you're probably going to want to have the rails/slide worked on anyway. If not, and you're satisfied with what you have - so much the better.

I used a Colt WWII Pacific Theater Commemorative as the platform for my accurized carry 1911, and some serious Commem. Collectors I know give me the Stink Eye. Before 1911 clones were relatively inexpensive and readily available, a few of the 1911 Commems could be bought much more cheaply than a standard production model, so I found a bargain and used it as the basis for my shooter. I now have had 12 drop-ins, mods, and exchanges done, including the Novak Combat sights - also had the rail/slide fit tightened up a bit. Externally, it nearly looks the same - except for the Novaks. It's not a Gold Cup or even a Series 70, but it's a Real Colt 1911. :lol:

xtm

·
Registered
656 Posts
"... but would want to add an ambi safety (my friends here know I'm lefty), put a bigger beaver tail on it, and likely change the sights and trigger."

So, what would be left? If you plan to change so much why not start out with a less expensive model as a custom project? I'm not sure what aftermarket triggers are available for the Gold Cup, BTW.

I personally detest the over-size tangs and extended controls. I have a Series '70 Gold Cup but all I did was add the ivory stocks. The rest of the gun is fine as is.

G

·
0 Posts
Depends what you want to use if for, I guess...

I'd consider buying a new Bersa Mil Spec as a base gun. Actually, I just ordered one. I consider their steel to be excellent and if this new gun runs like the rest of the Bersa line ~ then it will be a excellent base gun to start with. Dehorn and add a decent set of Henie rear sights and a front post. Add a match barrel and bushing. Change the controls to what pleases you. You'll most likely have everything you want at a affordable price....

Word to the wise. I have never owned any Bersa that didn't have excellent accuracy out of the box. My Thunder .45ACP was incredible from day one. So perhaps they will get the the barrel, guide rod, and bushing right with their new 1911 MilSpec...

That said, the gun is under $350 ;) So if you pour another 300 bucks into it, your still ahead of the game...

giz

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Bersa is making a 1911A1??? First I heard of that, I'll have to check that out! Thanks GIZ!

G

·
0 Posts
They announced about a month ago. I asked my dealer to get one ASAP! I figure if it is anything like the other semi's they produce, this will be pretty interesting...And I have heard it through the grapevine that they will be introducing a fully "Loaded" version....If that is true, it would be very interesting to see how the Brazilians price it. Bersa is known for the quality of their steel, so I would expect this gun to be a very hot item....

giz

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
I think the option of getting a Gold Cup is a valid one. With just a little bit of money (relatively speaking) you can do the changes you want and have a functional and accurate 1911. If you decide the 1911 is your cup of tea after using it for awhile you can then go further. For now, I wouldn't do anything to the Gold Cup that can't be reversed, in case you find out you don't care for the platform (which I doubt.....but some people are like that).

I also dislike the big swoopy beavertails. I have always thought they look gaudy. All of my 1911's, except for my Delta Elite have a standard grip saftey and hammer.

When I had Ted Yost build my Delta for me I had him take an Ed Brown memory groove beavertail and grind down the bumps and most importantly, grind down the beavertail to minimize it as much as he could. This is what it ended up looking like.

It is still bigger than I like, but it looks good, is functional and looks better than the beavertail on this, IMO:

bob

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
That really is a nice looking grip safety.

I'm like you, I prefer something closer to the standard set-up for that feature.

xtm

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Yep, it was the little touches that makes the gun 1 of a kind, not to mention the wife give me the look of death when the final bill arrived. :shock:

But she got over it. Several pieces of jewelery later. ;)

bob

G

·
0 Posts
Add the beveled extended mag well...I shoot occasionally with Cush and know he'd use it to an advantage on the NRA Steel plates...

From a personal point of view, I like the arched mainspring housing :mrgreen:

giz

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Gizamo said:
Add the beveled extended mag well...I shoot occasionally with Cush and know he'd use it to an advantage on the NRA Steel plates...

giz
Boy Giz, that quote made me stand up and take notice! The fact that we only shoot together occasionally means I need to get to the range more frequently on Saturdays. It wasn't that long ago that I made every Saturday. :? The boys have been chewing up my time I guess. :D

·
Registered
668 Posts
I shot an electroless nickle Gold Cup 70 series for decades with very pleasing results box stock. I got frisky and added a set of gripper finger grooves and a little beaver tail. That made it perfect IMHO.

Then a buddy showed me his Kimber :eek: Custom Target model. It shot so well I had to get one too. Now I don't know what to do with my Gold Cup boat anchor.... ;)

I prefer the flat spring housing in both of them.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts