Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Mauser turned out to be somewhat different then described.
It is a J.C. Higgins .30-06 with the barreled action (Mauser 98)made by FN of Belgium. It is the commercial action, without the cut-out for loading clips. The cartridges load one at a time. Pictures coming soon!!!! ;)

Don't know who made the stock, but it is straight grained walnut, and looks pretty nice. It wears a Noble scope. Nice looking rig!!!! I'm getting it tomorrow for $225. Seems like a good buy....much better then a homemade rig!!! The bluing on the frame and barrel look kind of dull, sort of like a military rifle. The stock is dark walnut, with a varnish finish, I guess.

If anybody knows more about these rifles, please enlighten me. I think I did OK, and got a good, old fashioned, quality rifle at a good price. Now, I have to save my pennies....for some ammo!!! ;) Bob

OOPPs Again!!! I posted this in the wrong place. Moderaters, please put this in Long Guns by Other Manufacturers. :oops: :oops: :oops:

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
you feelin alright bob?? :mrgreen:

Just kidding. Hope you are as satisfied with it as you had originally hoped.

·
Registered
19,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Feel OK......just got bad info from the seller, that's all. He was kinda vague. The rifle was his brother's, who had past away. Doesn't look used much......and it's leisurely life will continue at my house. Just want a good rifle at a low price. This fits the bill. Bob

·
Registered
4,237 Posts
Those J. C. Higgins FNs were really good rifles. I would say you got a very good deal. Well done.

·
Registered
19,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
She's all mine now!!! :D It is a commercial grade Mauser 98 made by FN of Belgium. Pretty good shooter too......I tested it out with 3 shots, before I put the money down. All 3 holes were touching just 1/2" left of center of the bull! I couldn't ask for better.

Not real sure, but it seems like a rifle like they used to sell in the '50's and '60's. It was marketed by J.C.Higgins. The bluing is a little worn and dull, but that doesn't bother me at all!!! I just wanted a good rifle....... cheap. $225 is cheap. You ain't gonna see no Ruger 77 at that price! The guy also has 10 boxes of 180 gr. ammo, he'll sell for $8 ea.!!! Looks like I'll have to move something out of the ammo safe!!!! I've already got enough to last about 10 years of normal shooting. ( for me ...anyway.) ;) Bob

·
Registered
19,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Anybody know anything about Noble scopes? It's 4x32 Nobel......seems about equivalent to a Weaver. Maybe a moose hunt in Newfoundland, or Elk in Montana......I think not. ( Just don't have the tough, strong bod to do those things.) Sure would like to knock down some Vermont whitetails someday, though. ;) I've seen more deer in Vermont.....while not hunting, than I've ever seen in Mass. But, then again, there are guys that fill their tag almost every year, in my own town. Guess I don't hang in the right crowd!!! :eek: Bob

1 - 6 of 6 Posts