Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK,

Bit of a personal preference question for you 1911 junkies...

Arched Mainspring housing or not?
Beveled Extended Magwell or not?

And why?

Giz

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
To many years packing a 1911A1 for Uncle Sam. So arched MS for me. No preference on the flared mag well. Heck I had to go look, but my SA USGI doesn't have one but my SA Loaded does, and I don't notice the difference.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In my hand the arched mainspring housing just fits better. I've heard the argument that it changes the grip angle, but having both styles ~ I really don't notice the difference. The extended beveled magwell is the biggest improvement in the design. Especially for competitive shooting. But I would opt for one in a combat design, as it lends for a more positive mag insertion....

giz

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
I have small hands thats why I like the straight grip. As for the flared mag well, if I have to reload that fast I'm in deep trouble.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
c.

I shoot a lot of steel plates. The clock is a stickler. One second for each missed shot! ,,,,,when your shootin' 24 plates in under 20 seconds with 3 reloads a second is a lot of time :mrgreen: Not that I've made that speed, but I've seen it done in 17 seconds. From the draw position.. :eek:

The extended beveled magwell allows you to keep your eyes forward and not on your hands....and would translate well into reality.

Not that it matters much in the real world, but it is fun to define these things for competitions ;)

Giz

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Gizamo said:
c.

when your shootin' 24 plates in under 20 seconds with 3 reloads a second is a lot of time :mrgreen: Not that I've made that speed, but I've seen it done in 17 seconds. From the draw position.. :eek:

Giz
But that was from a revolver... :shock:

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cush,

Two years ago a former Bianchi Cup champ was at the Falmouth shoot. He was a older guy, about 65... From the draw position, he shot 6, reloaded 3 times, and never missed a plate...If I recall the time it was barely over 17 seconds...on 24 plates.

As he walked by the 1911 guys he muttered, "Damn, I better slow down ~ I almost missed one...." They were too busy picking their ego's off the ground to notice.... :D

I had lunch with him and it was a hoot!

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Arched. I do much better with 'em. I also like the slight bevel for the magwell.

Then again I can't shoot a box stock 1911. I get bit by the hammer with the factory grip safety.

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
I held a Dan Wesson with a "bobtail"
I'm thinkin' that's my next hand gun. Ever get a chance to hold one, don't, unless you are ready to spend some money.
As for the question, I had the arched removed and a longer trigger added. I like it better flat with a longer trigger.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Even with large hands I like straight mainspring housings but its because I'm familiar with the feel.

I think I could like a bevel on the magazine well but have no experience with it.

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
Arched

Flat mainspring housing ordinarily makes me shoot low on a timed or practical course. It's OK for bullseye, but I prefer the arched.

Beveled magwell is OK and a good idea, but not really necessary for me. I'm not that fast either way.

xtm

·
Registered
25 Posts
I like the flat mainspring housing. It's just more comfortable to me. I also like the flared mag well but I'm not married to it. :)

·
Registered
747 Posts
Flat mainspring housing, just feels right to me, mag well I like stock for carry.
The other day I almost bought a Sig 1911 and the mainspring housing was flat, but had a slot at the bottom for I guess a laynard ring with very sharp edges that would cut you if you shot the gun much, easy enough to change, but I turned it down.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I switched my Kimber mainspring housing to a wedge. I keeps my hand higher on the grip..plus the stock housing was PLASTIC.
no preference on the magazine well

·
Registered
7,765 Posts
I have no preference, I shoot arched or flat housing guns equally well. kfjdrfirii

I've never owned a 1911 with a exaggerated beveled mag well and see no need in them. :roll:

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Giz,
The arched housings point shoot better for me...I go with the standard factory beveled magwell.
But, that's just me talkin'.

Su Amigo,
Dvae

·
Registered
97 Posts
I can live with either the arched or flat mainspring housing. I guess I might have a slight preference for the arched, but I have one gun with a flat housing. No big deal to me.

One of those extended and beveled mag wells is far too radical a modification for me to put on my guns. I like to leave them close to stock.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Hmmm... Three flat and two arched. Don't feel much different to me. What do I know? Never had a modified magazine well.

Ahhh... Since the above photo was taken one of the flat ones was swapped for an arched one (with a loop). Now it's three arched and two flat. Geez, good thing I have a new 1911 coming. Hope it's flat so I can make it even.

·
Registered
97 Posts
SP , it does look like you have a definite preference in stocks ;)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts