Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been agonizing over buying another long gun for a while now. I keep leaning toward another custom build from John Pierce but the Kimber Mountain Ascent has caught my eye. It's light, in fact it's the lightest production magnum caliber long gun made today and it's accurate, Kimber guarantees (with factory loads), sub moa at 200 yards in the 300 WinMag version I'm looking at. 6.5 pounds. With a scope (Swarovski) and rings (Bruce Talley one piece) it should come in right about 8 pounds or 6 ounces heavier than my custom built 308.

I know I can get it to shoot even tighter groups with built handloads, already have the bushing dies, all I need is cases and pills.

I think that will round out my toolbox with everything from 22LR all the way up to 338 Lapua and straightwall from 45 auto to 460 Smith. No more space left in the cabinet.:D

Looking at hunting, I hate carrying the 338, it's a tank and my 308's as built as I have them won't reach out past 400 yards with enough kinetic energy to effect a clean kill. need that 'in between' 30 caliber stick that can go past 400 with enough knock down power to take big game. The 338 will do well past 1000 yards with plenty of kinetic energy (300 grain pill) but is just too heavy to lug around at 14 pounds. Need that in between 400 and 1000 yard gun but I also need one I can lug around and other than the Kimber, my only choice would be a Pierce built 700 Remington clone with a Bartlien or Kreiger tube at an astronomical cost.

Think I'm talking myself into the Kimber.

Reactions: gearchecker

·
Registered
23,200 Posts
IMNVHO the Kimber is a far superior action to the Remington, I'd go w/ it.

Reactions: jeepnut

·
Registered
13,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
IMNVHO the Kimber is a far superior action to the Remington, I'd go w/ it.
Paul Mauser single claw extraction with 1/2 turn lockup. It's a well proven action. I'm on the fence with their trigger but I hear it's pretty sweet for a production trigger. Pretty sure it's an Accutrigger clone. Everyone copies the Savage trigger, hard to improve on it other than fitment of trigger components and machining and hand fitting.

Pierce does a full wire EDM version of the 700 action in titanium with a hardcoat steel (or titanium) bolt. It's sweet but it's very expensive too. You add the Jewel trigger and titanium bolt handle, you have serious jack before even adding the furniture and tube.

I'll wait until after the Christmas buy fever has subsided and then go shopping.

·
Super Moderator
19,371 Posts
That sounds awesome. What brand of brass are you thinking of using for your custom loading?

·
Registered
13,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'd use Lapua which is my gold standard for brass but alas, Lapua don't draw 300 Win Mag cases so I'll probably use Nosler which in reality is Norma. I may try PPU (they do produce good brass, just terrible loaded ammo). I'll have to be very careful about case prep though, especially case volume and weight as well as flash holes, which is why I like Lapua brass. Lapua gun drills their flash holes unlike everyone else who punch them.

Lapua flash holes are always burr free and perfectly centered.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts