Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I snagged another S&W the other day. Actually, it was a Christmas present from my better half.

It's a purchase the ultimately led me back to this forum (again). It's a mdl 36, and from what I can gather, has a build date somewhere in 1964.

Serial # 466***. That sound about right?

Perfect original diamond pattern grips, and the only mark on it is a slight line around the cylinder at the lock notches. Other than that...it is absolutely new.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
I snagged another S&W the other day. Actually, it was a Christmas present from my better half.

It's a purchase the ultimately led me back to this forum (again). It's a mdl 36, and from what I can gather, has a build date somewhere in 1964.

Perfect original diamond pattern grips, and the only mark on it is a slight line around the cylinder at the lock notches. Other than that...it is absolutely new.
Yup, that would be a Model 36 (no dash). I have one in comparable condition that is just a little earlier with SN 442XXX.
FWIW the book says that serial number range 295000-786544 covers the start of 1962 to the end of 1969. That would be just over 61,000 per year - assuming even steady production over the entire 8 year period. From that you can extrapolate a serial number range of approximately 418,000 to 479,000 for the year 1964

Unfortunately production was not at a steady or even rate, so that is just an approximation. Additionally shipping wasn't even done in serial number order, they just randomly grabbed them off the shelf to fill orders. The only way to determine actual ship date would be to get a factory letter of authenticity - which costs $100

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
1964 sounds about right if it has the flat latch.
Do you know a date or a SN when the flat latch was discontinued? Because mine, which is just 24,000 earlier than his doesn't have a flat latch.

·
Registered
9,137 Posts

Pics or it never happened mate :)

thewelshm

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET!!

·
Registered
22,136 Posts
Now that's a great Christmas gift! Have fun with that and post a range report when you can.:cool:

Reactions: Oldgungeezer

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Now that's a great Christmas gift! Have fun with that and post a range report when you can.:cool:
Well.... I took it to the range the following week after Christmas, and I'm almost embarrassed to tell the story..

I took the 36, and an uber clean 686 (SS 4")I also picked up not long ago to an indoor range here. My time was limited, so I planned on just running some rounds thru both to make sure all was good.
I didn't even use a target. I picked a lane that had a fresh 2' square of cardboard on it, ran it out to right at 21 feet, and loaded the 36.
I chose the bottom right, used a 6 o'clock sighting, and let the first one go. It went pretty much right where I aimed it. As did the following 4. Roughly a 5" group. Loaded it up again, aimed at the top right, and did the same thing... closer to a 4" group.
Satisfied, I picked up the 686. It was loaded with cheap aluminum case Blazer 357's.

Let's just say I need to practice more with the 686. I didn't think for a minute that I'd be more accurate with the snubby than with the 686, but I can't even call the groups with the 686 "groups". The left side of the cardboard had holes all over the place. Quite frankly, I sucked.

Oh well... the little 36 shot perfectly.

Now, I need to set a bit more time aside and work with the 686, and it's time to run 50-75 rounds thru my 360PD (daily carry) also. Maybe next week.

This time I'll bring targets. :)

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Nice score mjn! My wife wouldnt have a clue about buying a gun. Hang on to both. :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts