Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My model 10-7 has one chamber that constantly fouls up. it fires fine, but the round in that chamber does not seat like the other 5. Extracting the same round takes a little more effort also. Other than that, it functions flawlessly. I don't notice any cracks or obvious damage. Anyone else experience this, and what causes it?

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Chris,

Did you check for a bulged chamber?

Sometimes this can actually be seen on the exterior surfaces of the cylinder. Check with a flat edge like a steel rule.

More often then not, you will have to really scrub the chamber and once clean, examine it in detail. If you're lucky, it's only convex corrosion build up. If not, you may find a concave ring.

Drew

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Your problem is probably just fouling buildup in that one cylinder. After you shoot a bunch of rounds on top of some fouling, it sort of smushes the fouling into the porous metal and won't come out with normal scrubbing using a bronze brush. Sometimes it's spread so uniformly in the cylinder, it's not noticeable to the eye.

When this happens to my revolvers, I remove the cylinder and scrub out the chambers with an electric drill. Chuck the terminal section of a cleaning rod into the drill and use a tight-fitting bronze brush saturated with #9. Be sure to wear gloves and eye protection - the cylinder will heat up and the fast-turning brush can peel the hide off your fingers.

xtm

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys!! All better! Worried for nothing...

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
f150guy,
In addition to the excellent suggestions already put forth, I would add this one:
To prevent future buildup, and to ensure easier cleaning, buy a 'fine' cylinder-honing tool (fits in your electric drill) from Brownells.
You'll also need some cutting oil/similar oil.
It will dress the charge-holes just like the Registered Magnums came through.
Much easier and faster cleaning, no more rough surface to catch the powder and lube and extra, unneeded crud.
Don
;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts