Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my two shooting buddies and I went for our weekly learn and shoot session. (The other one is out of town.) Today I took my M&P .22 compact and my Browning 1911-22. She took her Shield EZ 380 because that is her only usable gun. (She has another gun but can't even begin to rack the slide.) I usually take one or two of my .380's but today was plinker fun day for me.

I always try to have one or two things that I need to work on and/or practice and she is still learning, SO I really put her through her paces today. I also got the practice I needed!

Starting with draw and shoot 2, reholster and repeat, which she has done a couple times before. Then moving to shooting while moving forward, which she did last week for the first time. Then shoot while moving forward and then backward. OK, now to take it to the next level!

I do this stuff to show her then have her do it. I had her shoot one handed, strong hand. Once she learned to hold her "support hand" really tight against her middle and cant her gun a little, she hit two smack in the middle of the bullseye! Boy was she thrilled. Me too! Next came shooting one handed, off hand. She didn't do as well, but not too bad. THEN it was time to draw with the right hand, switch the gun to the left hand, aim and shoot. She about freaked out, but by gosh she did it.

The final exercise was stand between 5 and 6 feet from the target, draw and shoot from the hip, two shots at a time. I have always totally sucked at shooting from the hip. Totally. So she did as well as I did on that one. Ugh.

Every time I teach one new little skill, I explain how the ability to do "that" features in a self defense situation. It helps give the other person incentive to learn it and learn it correctly - but these two have a lot of incentive anyway. They are both in their 60's............still kids. I wish I could still shoot like I did in MY 60's!

I really did need the review and practice of all of these things, and it is a total joy to teach a shooting buddy new things and see her progress each week! Next week she is going to be out of town and the one who was out of town this week will be back, so it will be a repeat of today, with my other shooting buddy.

·
Registered
9,137 Posts
Waayyyyy to go, congratulations..

Thewelshm

Reactions: ShooterGranny

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I am so very happy to have these two (mature but younger than I am) women as shooting buddies! Before this, for a very long time, if I wanted to go and shoot I had to ask hubby to go with me whether he was in the mood to do so or not. He was willing to do it, but this is ever SO much better - and I get to both shoot and to teach, which is my joy in life.

ETA: The reason I do not go to shoot alone is wild animals on and near the range which is out in the country. Yes, some are two legged, but my greatest concern is wild dog packs and also wild hogs which have been known to appear in broad daylight. And then there are some two legged ones that could pose a problem for a lone woman on a remote range. Last year there was a homeless man living on the club property. He was seen repeatedly in the surveillance cameras. It's best to not shoot by yourself.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts