Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hopefully this question is not a nuisance. I am new to this forum and will soon purchase my first revolver. I have enjoyed shooting for years, but own only semi-auto pistols. My 1911 is my favorite. I like the way it feels in my hands. I like the way it looks. I like its comfortable recoil. For a revolver, I have decided I will purchase a 627 pro or a used model 27 nickel plated. I like the look of nickel or stainless with wood grips. I believe the 357 is the right round for me. I've held the 627 and really like the feel of it in my hand. And I think the weight and N frame will make it more comfortable to shoot. This isn't for carry purposes. It will be something I enjoy taking into the desert and shooting every now and then. With that in mind - Are there any specific factors that would favor either the 627 or an older 27? Thanks.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
I am no expert they will be along shortly.
I have no experience with the 627, but like you I like shiny stuff.
That being said IMO if you are looking for just plain ole range type shooting, and are not needing extras, I would look into a 686 plus.
It also is stainless and has 7 rounds and can handle full load .357 and a little less expensive.
Model 27's in nickle are getting a tad pricey, but damn they are easy on the eyes and very sweet to shoot.
good luck with your decision, either one you'll never lose.

Firearm Gun Revolver Trigger Gun accessory

·
Registered
23,458 Posts
IMHO the 27's have nicer actions & finish, the 627's have more accessories available if you want to add scopes, etc.. Both are fine guns & either should serve you well... of course you could buy both & share your experiences w/ us. :) By the way your question is not a nuisance, we love chatting about guns.

·
Super Moderator
19,841 Posts
I prefer the Model 27 over the newer 627. I'm a sucker for the beautiful high gloss nickle, over the flatter Stainless finish.
It's your call. Either will be fine shooters, but the Model 27 will probably have a little nicer trigger, and the nickle finish is hard to beat.

I wish you well in making this decision. If it was me, I'd buy the Model 27 now, when you can, and pick up a Model 627 later, after you've saved up a few bucks.

Regards,
Gearchecker

·
Registered
21,161 Posts
I found the shiny polished finish made for a lot of light reflections when trying to shoot my M-67 in bright sunlight. I had S&W refinish it in a satin finish, that is easier on the eyes. Bob

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys. There is something slightly addictive about researching, browsing, and getting a new firearm. This is all helpful. I thought the new ones might be poor quality or the older ones best to sit in a case and look at. It appears both a great revolvers. I'll obsess flipping back and forth looking at pictures for a another week, watch the auctions, and buy one. Hopefully in a few weeks I'll have one in my hands as I line up the sights. Thanks again.

·
Registered
7,865 Posts
I like the 27's. #1 will be the 27-2 #2 will be the 627. altho I'm not a fan of moon clips?

I'll take a model 28 anyday! Our Clubb has an old 28-2 which us members have shot the she-it out of! We replaced the rear sight with a Bowen rear after Fogles refinished it. Now the 28 shoots better than it did! fwiw

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am curious why you'd suggest the 686 Plus over the 627? Is it just that it is a little less expensive? I figured the N frame would be a little more comfortable when shooting? I have held one, along with a 627, and thought the difference between them was the particular grip they each had. But at least the grip on the 627 felt better in my hand. Is there an advantage to the 686 that I'm missing?

·
Premium Member
20,370 Posts
Many shooters such as me prefer the N frame over the L or K frame .357s. And, shooting .38 Special is a piece of cake. The extra weight makes shooting either cartridge more enjoyable, IMO. I also prefer target grips over magnas or magnas with a grip adapter.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
I am curious why you'd suggest the 686 Plus over the 627? Is it just that it is a little less expensive? I figured the N frame would be a little more comfortable when shooting? I have held one, along with a 627, and thought the difference between them was the particular grip they each had. But at least the grip on the 627 felt better in my hand. Is there an advantage to the 686 that I'm missing?
I only brought up the 686 is because I prefer the longer barrels such as the 6,7, or 8 in. for all my fun shooting and 686 is a little lest expensive.
I like the 627 and I would not turn my back on any of them they are all great firearms.
I have found again for me only, that using longer barrels makes me more efficient with my short ones.
I can't explain it, but for me it works.
Good Luck with your decision..

·
Premium Member
Model 27 and Model 19 (early builds)
3,912 Posts
.....My 1911 is my favorite. I like the way it feels in my hands. I like the way it looks. I like its comfortable recoil. For a revolver, I have decided I will purchase a 627 pro or a used model 27 nickel plated. I like the look of nickel or stainless with wood grips. I believe the 357 is the right round for me......
I am also a 1911 fan. :D

I prefer the older Model 27, 27-1, 27-2 (or pre-27) revolvers. I just like the feel and action of the older guns (JMO). I also feel the value of these guns will be higher in the future. Here is a Model 27 in nickel with a 5" barrel. Note the proud pins on the front sight with the perfect fitting of the diamond Magna stocks:

This one is 57 years ol this month.:)

·
Super Moderator
35,109 Posts
We have no experience with the 627 but the model 27 we have is a great Smith but on the large side for my taste!

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
If shiny is what you want , a nickel 27 would be my suggestion. I prefer the dull , not so shiny finish on my Highway Patrolman.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
First off welcome from Iowa.
The M686 is a gun that is still in production and easy to find. A used one can be picked up for a lot less than ANY M27. It is slightly smaller than an N-Frame and the grips interchange. When shooting these I doubt you'd be able to feel any difference in recoil. These frames soak it up pretty well.
If I was makin' the choice I'd get a M27. For me it would be a dash 2 or lower, since they're pinned and recessed.
Any of these are fine shooters.
Let us know what you decide.
Jim

·
Registered
9,504 Posts
It all depends??? If you are going to shoot a lot the 627 cleans up easier. If you live in a salt water climate (near the ocean) the stainless will hold up better. The nickel finish is beautiful though - but either one will serve you well. . .I bought both, but not at the same time;)

Nickel model-27-2

And belatedly a 5-inch 627.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts