Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It is no secret that I prefer real leather to carry my pistols and revolvers. A number of years ago I got a 22/32 Heavy Frame Target that left Smith and Wesson in January 1917 but I did not have a proper leather holster for it. I carried it to the range in a gun rug but did not have a proper holster. While in Reno for the S&WCA Symposium I spotted a H H Heiser holster that was tagged as fitting a 22/32 target. After a bit of negation I became the proud owner of it.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
I have had this S&W 39-2 in nickel for a number of years and recently saw this S&W Leather carved holster model 11 size 39 with original box on the other forum. I just had to have it. A telephone call to Arizona and some negotiation and a check went west and the holster and box came east.

·
Registered
6,955 Posts
Hey Jim,

Swell looking "leathers"!!

Need to pay mind.........."Leather itis" is every bit as "addictive" as "S&W itis"... LOL

Later, Mark

·
Super Moderator
19,292 Posts
This is one of my favorites. I got it from BC2, and it's perfection for woods carry.
It's a George Lawrence, and it a perfect fit for the 686, and my K-38
S&W Model 686 with George Lawrence.jpg

And I've managed to pick up a few in the past 10 years or so. This is about 1/2 of the holsters I have and use.
100_1864.JPG

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
Nice looking leather here fella's, I have quite a few, but here are a couple of my more harder to find SD Myres holsters. The one without the gun is with my son as it was the first holster my dad carried his old Combat Masterpiece in starting in 1955 as a Somerton AZ police officer. My son has the gun and holster. The other Myres pictured with a 6" Model 10 is in my possession, the holster I found either at a small gun show or an antique store, can't remember for sure now, but I only paid a pittance for it, I do remember that!

front.JPG best.JPG Gun and holster.JPG

·
Premium Member
2,778 Posts
Now I don't feel so bad, now that I know this affliction is not as uncommon as I thought it was. I have a "thing" for vintage duty holsters and this old S&W holster is among my favorites due to being fascinated by its back-in-the-day design for retention and the adjustable swivel mechanism that can be used to let is swivel freely or lock the holster in any degree of forward or rearward cant.

It has a false safety strap over the trigger guard that contains a retention spring clip that the trigger guard locks into, the real release is the thumb strap over the hammer. After that thumb snap is released, the gun butt has to be pushed forward to release the trigger guard, in doing so the gun pivots the barrel rearward in the holster, then it's drawn up and forward, kind of like a break front holster. When the gun butt is being pushed forward, you not only have to overcome the retention spring clip, you have fight with that large thumb strap being in the way.

The retention spring clip is exposed metal and is not at all kind to the surface of the trigger guard, so it's more for show and tell than use... definitely a case of looking better than it works.

AMU 34 #5.jpg

AMU 34 #3 (2).jpg

View attachment 327347

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Good gun security in a holster is of the most importance especially for a police officer.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
You do not see many of these old pocket holsters. They must be close to 100 years or older. The top one holds a S&W New Departure Hammerless .32 top break. The lower one holds a S&W Double action top break.

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

A Lawrence IWB #23 holster. Have any of you seen a IWB with the metal clip covered with leather? Gun is a pre Model 40.

standard.jpg

·
Registered
9,065 Posts
recent addition.... flower holsters.jpg

thewelshm

·
Registered
15 Posts
Wow, that one brings back memories Gunhacker. Back around 1983, the police department I worked for changed out our Model 10s for 681s. That’s the holster we were issued.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts