Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning everyone,

I stopped by a very small gun shop, in a neighboring town yesterday, to pick up a K-11 Swiss that I had recently ordered from Simpsons LTD.

Out of the 6 or 7 guns in the display case there was a K-22, with a 6 inch barrel. This is an older one, with no model number in the inside of the frame, so I am guessing pre 1956 right?

Pretty nice blue, but I am no expert, so I am going to say an easy 85 to 90 % blue, slight turn line, and some edge wear, but over all very presentable. It has the standard hammer, and trigger, and also looks to be original, but the lighting in his store is not real great.
Now for the bad part... This gun has some sort of ugly good year style grips on it, with two Phillips screws through them. They dont feel bad, but the screws looked like hell, and resembled some thing from an erector set.

Its a consignment gun, and the guy wants $635.00 for it, and he didnt think the owner would take any less.
I did not get the serial number, and the ugly grips covered it up. I did notice there was a number on the cylinder, but it was small and with the poor light conditions, I could not read it.

So what do you think its worth? Also I am guessing it should have the Diamond style grips on it to be correct, right?
These grips would probably cost another $75 bucks? I'm guessing? I have a set or two of the later style grips that I could put on until the right grips came along...

Also I notice there was one chamber that showed a small ding. Possible dry fired some time? The rest of them seemed ok..

I time allows today, I may call and see if I an get the serial number, from the shop owner.

BES

·
Registered
26,098 Posts
I am considering the same situation on a 586-1 with Pachmayrs. Widow has her prices set and won't budge. Grips will be more than $75 I believe, especially if - in your case - you want period correct ones.

·
Registered
4,904 Posts
FWIW, last one I saw that sold at a local auction went for $850.00 plus premium and tax. I thought that was too high and stopped at $700.00. Gun did have the original diamond grips and what sounds like a little better shape.
$635.00 is not a bad price and they are likely to continue to go up. Certainly get rid of the rubbers, but I would not worry too much about exact period grips since this one is a shooter Vs. collector grade.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I time allows today, I may call and see if I an get the serial number, from the shop owner.
Yeah, that is critical here. We don't even know if you have a K-22 Masterpiece or perhaps an Outdoorsman. :unsure:

As far as the grips go, you have many options to get rid of those practical-but-ugly Goodyears. All depends how original you want to get and what condition you are willing to pay for. :)

But first... the serial number! (y)

·
Premium Member
20,718 Posts
Without pictures, we are just guessing. Based on the description, I believe the K-22 is too high. $575 might be an upper end for me.

Abby's Dad. You are aware the 586-0 and -1 were subject to a factory recall to modify the hammer nose bushing. Certain ammo could blow back through the bushing and trap the hammer nose inside, rendering the gun unusable. Guns so modified are stamped with an M over or over-stamped on the model number inside the yoke. These guns function okay since the ammo is no longer made. But, could be a bargaining point...

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Guys,
Thanks for the replies to my post.
I just got off of the phone with the shop owner. He says he has # 161354 in his books, but that did not sound right to me.
So, I asked if there were any letter prefixes ahead of the number, and if this number came off of the butt or some where else on the gun?
He is not sure, if this number came off the butt or not, as its been in the shop a while, and he did not want to take the grip off to confirm. Does this number sound right?

It sort of surprises me that some dealers don't know that the actual serial number is on the grip end of the frame, and can be covered by target grips and not visible until the grips are removed. I wonder how many of these have been sold with the wrong number in the dealer's books?

I told him yesterday that I thought it might have been a touch on the high side.
The shop owner is going to contact the gun owner, and since its been in the shop for a while, and see what he says about the price. There may be hope of a lower price, after all.

Since its still in the shop with the feeding frenzy that has been going on, there may be some leverage to buy at a better price. Not exactly a typical defense gun so that is probably why its still sitting in the case.

Thank you for the help.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you for the info. I knew it was older than anything I own, and i have limited knowledge of the Pre model number guns.
Its a pretty nice old gun for a 52 model. I am in a holding pattern now, until I hear back and find out what the low money is going to be.
I think for me, if it was a cash deal at a show, or something I would not walk away for $600.00, but even at $600 in the store is going to be $660 by the time the tax is paid. Probably going to be too rich for my taste..

·
Registered
5 Posts
You mention a 'ding' (I assume on the rear face of the cylinder) perhaps from dry firing. Be cautious, dry firing a properly timed and well maintained K22 should not ding the cylinder. In my neck of the woods (south-central PA) the price is a bit high for what you describe. On the other hand, a very nice early one (pre model numbers) could cost in excess of $1K depending upon what it is, condition, what comes with it, and how correct it is. They are fine shooters and well made pieces in general.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you for the info, Squiggs. I didnt look at it real closely as time was short.
I may go and look again tonight, and see if the shop owner will take the grips off. I would like to get a look under them, and see if there is any rust, as over sized rubber grips are bad about that. I will look at the ding again and make sure that it is what it looked like.
Since the gun shop is out side of town, maybe the shop owner will let me at least fire some primed cases to see if they all fire ok..

So, unless some idiot has mis-used, it, and it dont look that way, the timing should be correct on it, right?
A 22, on a K frame should stay in time about forever, shouldn't it?

Well anyway, regarding the grips, I have a set of Diamond magna grips on another gun. So that makes the grip issue go away.
I had forgot they were Diamond style, until I got the gun out to look at it last night, and I am pretty sure they are wrong, as they are on a 17-3. I think its too new for that style of grip, and they are not numbered to the gun.

Well I have not gave up, but it does seem a touch high, and I am hoping the owner might come down a bit.

More news later..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts