Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok,

We've shown a few of the snobbery of knifedom :eek:

Let me show you how easy it is to get into the collecting of knives. A company named Schrade made some very utilitarian knives for many years. One of the lines was the "Old Timer". In that brand are some pretty neat and original knives. I'm going to show and example of a early "Uncle Henry" in a knife sheath that I consider to be right up there with my better knives. This knife was bought with the intention of using it as a patch knife for my black powder muzzleloaders. It will serve that purpose quite well. But when you consider the shape ahead of the guard, you realize it was meant for your forefinger to fit into the relief. It is really comfortable. And a wonderful knife for small game or close in work in bigger game. Given the sheath and the design, I like it a lot...

The cost: around 20 bucks used. This is just one example of what they produced. Sure it ain't stag, isn't wristed, and the blade hasn't been ground to perfection and polished....

But it is still a hell of a useful knife...and could be the start of a collection of the Schrade line of Old Timers... ;) I wouldn't mind pairing up this knife to any of my .22 Squirrel guns. Or an old .410 Shotgun for Grouse and Rabbits...

Guess I better get out and beat the bushes for some of the pocket knives before you guys.....

giz

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
I recognized that sheath in your .32 Single Six posting....and was waiting for the knife. :lol:

The Uncle Henrys were the "premium" line of Old Timers. ;)
There were plenty of complaints about how difficult so many Schrades were to sharpen - even worse than Bucks, if that is possible! Now, with all of the diamond stones and sticks, a good edge is quick and no problem. Get a good edge on a Shrade or Buck and it'll stay there for a long time!

I really like this Old Timer's ergonomics - very handy with the downswept blade, and I think that I only paid ~$6 for it new 25-30 years ago:

xtm

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
xtm,

Yet another example of a workingman's knife that nobody has to apologize for. That is a beauty and the sweep on the blade makes it handy for fish or game. That, and the design is a classic...

I like it a lot, and now will go out and find it's mate :)

Giz

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Back in that same time period, Schrade made another Old Timer that they called the "Sharp Finger". I thought that I would really like that one and bought it, too - but I didn't care for the design after I tried it out for awhile.

I should've known, because I usually prefer a drop-point on a short-bladed knife. I wrapped it back up and gave it to my goose hunting partner for Christmas that year. He still likes it and uses it every hunting season.

xtm

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Since the company closed, all the original USA made ones have started to climb in price, the same with Camillus. So if your going to get them you better hurry.

Leighton

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
I found this old timer back in 1984. It was in a kenworth truck in the sleeper tucked down beside the mattress.There was no sheath and I have no idea how old it is past 1984.It is a lot bigger than it looks in the pictures.It is eight inches long open and four and three quarter closed.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Gizamo said:
Giz, I spent the better part of 11 years cuttin' twine offa hay bales to feed the livestock with that same knife.

Man, that brings back some memories................

1 - 8 of 8 Posts