Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
14,498 Posts
Welcome to the forum. S&W did not use model numbers until 1958 and your gun was made before then. It is a K38 Masterpiece, which when they began using model numbers became the model 14. Looks like someone drilled it for a lanyard ring at some point and obscured the official serial number which is a no no.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Actually since it is a .22 cal it is a K22. They are good guns and were noted for their accuracy and reliability.

·
Registered
174 Posts
That gun is a lot on the illegal side with the hole drilled through the serial number.

Reactions: msharley

·
Super Moderator
34,441 Posts
That gun is a lot on the illegal side with the hole drilled through the serial number.
Perhaps not if the flag on the profile is correct. It isn't an American flag. Looks like a Mexican flag but I don't know Mexican gun laws.

·
Registered
9,024 Posts
Hey HW,

Welcome to S&W!

Way to go!

Fine old K 22 on your first post!

Later, Mark

Reactions: Minorcan

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Duh, yep title said that but i forgot...K22 Masterpiece, later became the model 17
Just trying to help the OP. I didn’t pick up on the Mexican origin. I bet that old gun could tell some stories about where it‘s been.

·
Registered
6,672 Posts
You may wish to remove the grips and see if the serial number was applied there prior to the butt swivel was installed. In the U.S. as previously stated, it is the number on the frame which counts.

·
Registered
27,128 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum.

·
Premium Member
19,962 Posts
Welcome to the forums from the Wiregrass!

Reactions: Curt360

·
Registered
363 Posts
The serial number should also be on the rear of the cylinder and perhaps under the barrel. If so, not a problem!

·
Registered
27,128 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
258 Posts
Well, in the US it would still be a problem, as the cylinder serial number (and the one on the barrel, etc) have NO legal meaning to identify the weapon. For the purposes of United States law, the receiver or frame is legally the firearm, and as such it is the controlled part. The definition of which assembly is the legal receiver varies from firearm to firearm, under US law.

Barrels and cylinders are expected to possibly be replaced during a weapon's life... that is why their serial is irrelevant legally.

As an example, with an AR-type weapon, the lower is serialed - you buy uppers without serials, and one lower can have several uppers in different calibres used with it without any legal issue.

With the FN-FAL, in contrast, it is the upper assembly that is serialized and legally considered the receiver.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So in the USA it couldn't be registered, shipped? What does it mean practically? And could it be fixed?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts