Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for information regarding an old S&W I just received. Serial number on the bottom of the grip is 229856 and number on the crane is 1663. Any help would be appreciated!

·
Registered
28,016 Posts
What cartridge is it for? What frame size? Any pics?
Welcome from Florida!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's a .38 special, I don't know how to post pictures or I would. It looks like a 6 in barrel and is a 6 shot.

·
Registered
28,016 Posts
From my reference, a 38 with serial number in the range of 146900-241703 would make it a M&P model of 1905, 3rd change; I am sure WiregrassGuy and others who have more knowledge will be along to confirm or give you correct info if I am incorrect.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you sir, any value to these old girls? Looks like I possibly have a broken hammer on mine as it is very short, but other than that she looks good. I would like to pass it down to my son as he wants a bigger caliber for plinking instead of a 22.

·
Registered
8,390 Posts
Value is heavily dependent on condition and originality. If the hammer pad is broken off , a replacement hammer may be found. Numrich gun parts is a good place to start.

Pictures would really help.

For comparison here's my 3rd change target:

Reactions: Abby'sDad

·
Premium Member
21,029 Posts
Welcome to the forums from the Wiregrass! I think Abby's dad is probably right. It appears you have a 38 M&P revolver from before 1915. However it's difficult to identify it completely with the information that you provided. Pictures would help immensely. These guns are ubiquitous and if in good condition would be valued around $400 to $500. As Del says you can get a replacement hammer at gunpartscorp.com. But, it may not be a drop-in replacement. Most of these parts are fitted and you may want to contact a gunsmith to do the work.

Guy

1 - 8 of 8 Posts