Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,147 Posts
Welcome to the forums from the Wiregrass! You have what appears to be a .38 Double Action, 4th Model topbreak revolver from 1909. It chambers .38 S&W, not .38 Special. The official serial number is on the butt. Your cylinder is not original since it has a different serial number and comes off a 3rd Model. Your barrel may also be a replacement. Look inside the barrel latch. The serial number should be stamped on the latch and on the barrel frame nearby. Those should match the serial on the butt to be original. It appears to be missing its grips. They should be black hard rubber like those on my 2nd Model below. These guns are not very valuable but parts are widely available if needed.

·
Registered
7,336 Posts
Welcome to the forums from the Wiregrass! You have what appears to be a .38 Double Action, 4th Model topbreak revolver from 1909. It chambers .38 S&W, not .38 Special. The official serial number is on the butt. Your cylinder is not original since it has a different serial number and comes off a 3rd Model. Your barrel may also be a replacement. Look inside the barrel latch. The serial number should be stamped on the latch and on the barrel frame nearby. Those should match the serial on the butt to be original. It appears to be missing its grips. They should be black hard rubber like those on my 2nd Model below. These guns are not very valuable but parts are widely available if needed.

That's no 38. 44 Russian?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Thank you very much. Now I have a spot to look to get this back in functioning condition.
Don't think so. SN is too high.
Plus the cylinders are to small in diameter

·
Premium Member
20,147 Posts
Mine is a .38 DA 2nd Model. It has the gutter around the cylinder like the .44 DA Frontier.

Reactions: delcrossv

·
Registered
7,336 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts