Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Couple weeks ago got this old 22 from Pawn Shop down the road. There was a not so above board gun dealer in Atlanta area and ATF closed him down. Well this little gun came from him. Well this little 22 had been touched by Bubba. The bolt worked good but took superman to remove magazine. Found that this was originally a two piece trigger guard magazine frame in metal. Now plastic one piece and was not cut right (had to do it yourself. A lot of filing and it works now till right parts become available.
It is a Ranger, Model 103-2 made same as Marlin Model 81, in the 1930s. Barrel is sharp and very clean. Now will plan a range trip for some of these oldies and think they will be fun. No Serial number so is earlier than 1968. Not marked with retail chain but does anyone know which store chains would have sold Ranger? Update on some research. Appears the Ranger was made for Sear & Roebuck before WW II as Ranger was a Sears brand then. This one being 103-2 correlates to the Marlin 81 made 1937 to 1940.
thumbnai1l.jpg
thumbnail2.jpg
thumbna3il.jpg

·
Premium Member
13,111 Posts
Looks like a lot of fun, Rodney.......................I can't remember what chain stores sold "Ranger" guns and who manufactured them. I just took a quick Google search and didn't find the answer either ("Ranger" is a common name for multi gun related things).

·
Registered
16,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks like a lot of fun, Rodney.......................I can't remember what chain stores sold "Ranger" guns and who manufactured them. I just took a quick Google search and didn't find the answer either ("Ranger" is a common name for multi gun related things).
Well, Bill, doing more research on it (which is a lot of fun) I did find out that was manufactured by Marlin for Sears and in 1930s. So much older than I thought but in much better shape for that age. Thanks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts