Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I have an older Mod 60 .38 Spl that I am changing the hammer on. I watched a video on you tube showing the taking down and reassembly of the model, and it showed removing the hammer spring by decompressing the spring with your fingers and removing the spring , end cap, and rod. This was done without problem. I installed the new hammer, and I noticed the small hole in the spring rod. Now, I haven't been able to get the spring compressed with my fingers to reinstall the assembly and end cap into the frame. I searched and found a video showing the decompression with the hammer before removing and inserting the paper clip or small drill bit into the hole in the rod to keep the spring compressed for reassembly. Any suggestions on compressing and getting the spring back onto the rod and the end cap back on in the frame?
Thanks,
Robert

·
Registered
23,200 Posts
Old Injun trick: use a spool & a vise. Line everything up & put the spool over the end of the rod then place in vise & slowly tighten until paper clip or drill bit will slip into hole. I find a small punch works better than a paperclip or drill bit.

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
Old Injun trick: use a spool & a vise. Line everything up & put the spool over the end of the rod then place in vise & slowly tighten until paper clip or drill bit will slip into hole. I find a small punch works better than a paperclip or drill bit.
Once again Injunbro has it right . !! Great Job Injunbro.. !!!

·
Registered
23,200 Posts
Irv is one smart gunsmith, for sure!!! He's been at it for over 100 years!!!! lijf; He oughta' know sumthin' by now. :roll: :D Bob

... & is still 10 years younger than Bob. :eek:

Reactions: msharley
1 - 7 of 7 Posts