Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello From Florida,
I collect and shoot mostly vintage hand guns. I’m a formER Assistant General Counsel for NRA/ILA. I worked for Harlan Bronson Carter in the early 1980’s. I had a modest hand in helping to draft and lobby through Congress the Firearms Owners Protection Act. I used to go to lunch with Wayne at the hot dog vendor cart that was usually parked close to 1600 Pennsylvania Ave. The best thing about working aT NRA for me was being able to go to lunch with Robert N. Sears and Ed Harris when ever I wasn’t dicking around with the clowns on Capital Hill. Wayne always has and will have members’ best interests in his heart. Don’t believe all the negative crap you’ve been reading about NRA. The opposition is trying to demoralize the members. The same way they tried during this election past.

·
Registered
8,380 Posts
Welcome from Illinois.

Reactions: MarkInTX

·
Registered
6,127 Posts
Welcome from Florida!

·
Registered
10,400 Posts
Greetings mate for a min I thought you were a member, that hasn’t posted in a while..

Thewelshm

·
Registered
4,334 Posts
Welcome from Northern Illinois..

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Welcome from Florida. Thanks for the NRA vote of confidence. I recently renewed my membership but I was wavering about it because of all the solicitations and negative spin about Wayne and the handling of the members money. I feel better about renewing now that you have posted first hand experience from NRA.

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
You posted in the New Members Introduction and you first signed up in 2015.
I’m just going to ask, are you here to just promote the NRA and/or raise funds for the NRA?
I pretty much live hand to mouth every month but I greatly value the 2A. I don’t care to donate to the NRA when the money will be used for a mistress and her apartment for your buddy Wayne. The New York lawsuit is going to hurt us all and I’ll blame that on Wayne. Both Ollie North and Chris Cox weren’t happy with Wayne’s financial affairs.
It may sound hostile but it is a sincere question - are you here to promote the NRA and/or raise money for the NRA?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Welcome to the forum from south Texas!

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
The NRA has dealt in the swamp slime too long. It reflects in how they do business. That being said I’ll support their efforts every possible way but financially. I don’t want what I donate going for wardrobe expenses for an already highly paid executive.

·
Registered
4,511 Posts
Hi tseaha,

A warm welcome to the forum.

Visit often.

·
Registered
7,820 Posts
Welcome aboard from the "GunShine" state of Florida.

State of over 2 MILLION 21 THOUSAND Concealed Carry Licenses and counting!

·
Super Moderator
14,017 Posts
Hello, and a much belated welcome to the forum.

I'm glad for your perspective. A man in power can change quite a bit in the 40 years since you worked with NRA Leadership.

I've personally seen it happen with politicians. Stalwart defenders of Second Amendment rights that get told to "tone it down" and then get rewards when they succumb to the siren song of power.

A better office, regular access to those that control power, perks of office, better committee assignments... Just keep in line and compromise. It's always about compromise for power.

I don't personally know Wayne LaPierre. I have met him. I have watched his leadership of the NRA for decades. I have seen the board of directors operate. It's almost impossible to make effective decisions with a governing board that large - something ripe for external influence, divide and conquer factional division and clique development. A large board is more like a legislative body than the executive body it needs to be.

I'm a life Benefactor member of the NRA, and have taught through their programs for over a decade. I'm not out to trash an organization that our nation deeply and poignantly needs. Am I satisfied with their performance when we need them most. Certainly not.

The first step in reform is to understand your own problems through some frank introspection... I hope that the NRA commits to this soon.

Reactions: TTSH

·
Registered
159 Posts
welcome to the forum ! - but i have met + talked to Wayne on two occasions in past 15 years + i believe every detrimental thing being said about him - i found him very untrustworthy , untruthful , + self centered -

1 - 20 of 24 Posts