Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are a couple of flare guns with the same gauge (?) bore - ~1 3/8" diameter. Anyone know if flares still available in this size?

The brass one was made by International Flare Signal Co - Tippecanoe City, Ohio, Nov. '42. The nickle-plated one was made by Harvell-Kilgore Corp. - Toone, Tenn., 1951

I thought that someone might find them interesting since they lock up and break open like old S&Ws.

xtm

·
Registered
17 Posts
Nice collection :cool:

Sorry , don't know if they are available . I grew up in Tippecanoe City (presently Tipp City) just one block away from Kilgore Ave back in the late 60's & early 70's . We kids heard about the flare gun plant and were always looking for artifacts . Never found any . It wasn't until just a few years ago that I lucked into this one .

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to the forum, Guy!

You have the ultimate big bore snubbie, and I've never seen one like it before. Is it DA, or is that a cocker on the back of the grip? Does it have a date stamp?

I can't quite figure out the breech mechanism, either.

xtm

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thanks for the welcome .

It's a DA pull . The lever on the back is a safety similar to one on a 1911 pistol . While i have no cartridges , it loads from the front . Shown in the top photo you can see a lever type device above the grip . You push on that and it pivots a retaining pawl out of the way for loading/unloading . When you release it , a small pawl/claw engages the rim of the cartridge to hold it in place .

I didn't see a date , but with the crossed cannon government acceptance stamp , I assumed WWII .

If you google , you can come up with other examples .

Best regards ,
mitch

·
Registered
668 Posts
xtimberman:

I have a near identical brass flare pistol much like yours on the left side. Took a lot of research but I believe mine is from pre-WW2.

And I *DID* find a way to use modern 35mm flares....I've just been :? reluctant :twisted: to get involved in any :eek: potential :shock: 'issues'....

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
XT,
Pretty neat old flare guns.
I go through Tippecanoe on a pretty regular basis...It's like many other small, formerly-prosperous towns.
Hard to imagine the flare and ammunition plants that also dotted the landscape here in Ohio.
Thanks for a very interesting thread!
;)
Don

·
Registered
9,504 Posts

It says U.S. Govt. Property 1943, Pistol M-8. It is a 37 MM flare gun for inserting into a locking devise, called a port, the lugs on the barrel end are rotated in the port to secure the gun when firing, the port in my ship was in the side of the C-47 fuselage; it can be fired in fight.
Hank

Brass flare gun, says W W Greener Birmingham, on it. Made from 1910 through the world war one era.

·
Registered
4,931 Posts
Google should get some results. REAL cool collection.

·
Registered
9,504 Posts
I went on a quick search but couldn't find any prices on the vintage Kilgores. I did find an auction house that had sold a brass W W Greener for $500.
I saw a Webley flare gun in the search and it reminded me - I knew a deputy sheriff who had a Webley 12 gauge flare pistol and he had it loaded with a 12 gauge shot shell, he called it his alley broom. When I flew charters most of our aircraft were equiped with 12 gauge flare guns, I wouldn't have even thought of loading one with a 12 gauge shot shell - Then again the Webley looked sturdier than our flare guns.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
HeHe - this sure is an old dredged-up thread!

Kilgores aren't worth much - they are just shiny conversation pieces, IMO. My example was picked out of a large bin of 'em at an old Army-Navy surplus store and cost ~$20. I had to fabricate a new spring for the latch.

Now, a real Greener flare gun is something else entirely......that is truly something worthy to collect!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts