Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Leo , Ya better give it to your Grandkids ,,,,,,,, maybe they can see those tiny sights.
Ooops ,,,I forgot with the proper 1911 you don't need no stinking sights.
Always cool to see when they are Pre A-1.
Stories ,,,,,,, o yeah !

·
Registered
9,059 Posts

·
Registered
16,574 Posts
Very nice bit of history there LEO. I love shooting those old ones as I can picture some one's parent or grandparent using the old gun to make sure their is freedom for their families. Glad you can snag them as I know they will be well cared for.

·
Registered
9,059 Posts
Can you imagine a Democrat perspective....”ooohhh don’t tell me it’s his,I don’t want to know you hear..? Please pour muriatic acid into my eyes”...that’s an Assault gun isn’t it..:)

Thewelshm

·
Registered
10,304 Posts
It is a great acquisition, not just as a cool firearm, but a piece of disappearing history! The topic of the small front sight has been mentioned, does anyone know exactly why it was so minimal in these early models? Was John Browning expecting it to be marketed to a military market where at the time marksmanship might have been less an issue than dependable, effective rate of fire? I understand the gun has an inherent ability to be accurate with simple 'point and shoot' methods, does anyone know if that was the expectation that resulted in the minimal front sight engineering (and manufacturing) process?

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
The sights were regulated for the 230gr 45acp round to hit POA to POI back in 1910,1911. This gun was for the military for soldiers around 18 years old. Civilian sales came second and like a lot of civilian 1911's the sights were replaced with taller sights for older shooters. Nowadays a good pair of glasses help us older shooters to see the sights.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Yes that is the correct two tone magazine that were hardened after bluing. There is a very small "R" on the toe of the mag.
Thank you.

What is the significance of the R? Also, isn’t there supposed to be a lanyard staple on the magazine?

Kevin

1 - 20 of 26 Posts