Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Grandpa's old S&W's . That is all I know about them. I got them today. Its the second time I have seen them. The first time was 50 years ago. After reading here for a few hours. I figure they are 1880-1910 . Serial # 4521xx and #4558xx. What caliber I'm not sure. .32 most likely. Anything about them would be a help.

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
Welcome to the forum. They are both chambered for the old 38 S&W cartridge. Not the same as the 38 Special, being a shorter case and slightly larger diameter bullet. Still available today, standard factory ammo like Remington's, with lead bullets is loaded mild because most revolvers using it are the old top break designs. There are some hot loads out there, often with lighter bullets, that are meant for the newer hand ejector guns. Stay away from them. It would be a good idea to have a competent gun smith examine them before you take them to the range.

John

Reactions: blazermark

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you. I couldn't tell if that was 38 or 08 for model 1908.
The few hours of reading has me with as many questions as answers I came up with.
From the little I read , the serial # makes them 1906-10.
Model 1-4 ? Model 1 fourth change? I'm calling my LGS friend now for ammo , what he knows and who can check them over before a range trip.

·
Registered
black powder shooter 😎
4,074 Posts
very cool! love those recursive trigger guards..

they are - 38 Double action 4th models, which was produced 1895 - 1909, # 322701 - 539000, so yours would be towards the end of the date range..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts