Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I acquired this pistol a few years ago and would like to know more about it. Serial # 39818. The grips appear to be bone and the spacer between the trigger guard and the grip is marked S&W. Barrel length is 5". I have been told that it's a 38/44 HD. I don't know if that's correct. I would be interested in the age and value. The front sight has been filed down. Otherwise the pistol is tight and in excellent condition.

· Premium Member
23,154 Posts
Welcome to the forums from the Wiregrass! Yep that's a 1932 .38 Heavy Duty with what looks like jigged bone grips and an original S&W grip adapter. Too bad someone filed on the front sight. You have a valuable gun with a very valuable grip adapter and, if real, some high dollar bone grips. I'd say the package is around $2500+ depending on how much discount the buyer puts on the filed front sight. It appears to have the original blue. That is important to bring top dollar. The grip adapters are running around $500 these days and the stocks run $250 to $300. I may be a little low as I'm a bit out of touch these days. Congratulations on a really fine pre-war package!

· Registered
12,061 Posts
Hey Steve,

Welcome to S&W!

What a great HD!

Thank you for sharing it!! (wipes drool off keyboard...again) :ROFLMAO:

Later, Mark

· Premium Member
23,154 Posts
Lanyard rings were optional on any S&W handgun by special order. Most 2nd model N frames like the 1917 and .44 Hand Ejector had a lanyard ring out of the factory. But, 3rd models seem to be less inclined to have them.

· Registered
711 Posts
Welcome to the forum! And if I were you, I wouldn't plan on doing much business with that gun dealer. Maybe buy a box of ammo from him and let that be it. :D
Yes, and be gouged for them. Some dealers are super greedy. Just like that hearing aid commercial. $1000. $2000, $5000, whatever they can get. Back in the day, they used to be friendly, and were not out to take all they could get. I had a couple shops that called me whenever a new old Winchester came into the shop and I had first rights on them. I doubt much of that is happening anymore. Maybe it is just the Internet and gun shows? These guys that have raised their prices on guns and ammo, should be remembered for what they did. Big Larry

· Registered
711 Posts
Gun shops used to have a friendly atmosphere. Sit and talk to you, have a cup of coffee and a smoke if you will.
Our Sportsmans Whse. has a few knowledgeable folks that will take time to explain things to you, AND, listen to what you have to say. We have no gun stores here in Cedar City. A few pawn shops. Until the Covid is over, there will probably be few gun shows. The best place to buy a gun. Big Larry

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.