Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK have patience with me, I am going to have a lot of questions if I make the plunge into reloading.

I will be getting a few books before I start, but figure you guys know all of this already. So here are a few to start off with.

1- I will be loading .9mm, .380 and .38's. Should I be buying small pistol primers for all of these?(If I can find any at all these days)
2- Should I buy the 4 die set with the crimper?
3- What powder is best/cleanest/accurate?
4- Corn media or walnut?
5- Do you put polish in your tumblers? (I know not to use anything with ammonia, I heard nu-finish with mineral oil works good.)

Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
10,855 Posts
I'll give you my opinions. Others will differ in some, I am sure.

1. These all take small pistol. If you can find them. :(

2. I like the factory crimp dies myself. Especially in the auto calibers. Others do not like that it may resized a lead bullet just a tad. .357 vs .358 and such.

3. Can of worms. Open bag of popcorn. You name the cliché. Opinions will vary widely. However, I don't think you can go wrong with Unique, bullseye, and/or W231 (HP38) to have on hand. Very versatile.

4. I have not tried either yet. Currently I am using rice as recommended by Erich from this board and others. It does not polish but it does clean nicely. I will likely try walnut next.

5. I have not to date but most people use some product or another. Any car wax or any number of products sold by the reloading equipment companies.

Hope this helps.

Shaun

Hunter said:
OK have patience with me, I am going to have a lot of questions if I make the plunge into reloading.

I will be getting a few books before I start, but figure you guys know all of this already. So here are a few to start off with.

1- I will be loading .9mm, .380 and .38's. Should I be buying small pistol primers for all of these?(If I can find any at all these days)
4- Corn media or walnut?
5- Do you put polish in your tumblers? (I know not to use anything with ammonia, I heard nu-finish with mineral oil works good.)

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Shaun's on the mark.... (as usual!)....

I would recommend the Taper Crimp dies. You need this with Auto Pistol rounds..... as you know these cartridges headspace on the casemouth and a roll crimp would interfere with that.

I would suggest Bullseye. It's economical, easy to meter from a measure and not too difficult to find. It works very nicely for all of the rounds you mention.

I like Walnut Shell media but I've used both.

Drew

·
Administrator
8,101 Posts
Forester must have read my mind as his answers are exactly what I would have written if I had seen your questions first. With one exception, and one explanation..

With the factory crimp dies, if you get one for an automatic caliber, it will taper crimp. If you get one for a revolver caliber, it will roll crimp. At least, that's what the Lee factory crimp dies do. And, yes.. I use one with every caliber I reload. So much easier and does a great job.

And, as to question 5, I use Meguiar's Scratch X in brown rice. Works great. One medium squirt every so often. You'll get the hang of it. A tube has lasted me two years, and is still half full.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Shaun pretty well nailed the answer... several of your questions are just matters of preference.

Anyway, here is my spin on it...

Hunter said:
[SNIP]

All three use small pistol primers... not easy to find at the moment

If you are not using a progressive press a fourth die isn't really neccessary, but a lot of people use them. You can make perfectly good usable ammunition without one. If you use them I like the ones Redding or Dillon make.

This is mostly a matter of preference. Any good pistol powder will work. Bulls-Eye is my fav because it is very accurate, reliable, meters well and is economical.... but Clays, Unique, W231 and others work very well too.

4- Corn media or walnut?

Use both. I initially clean fired brass in straight walnut to knock off the worst crud and dirt. After that I run it through corn cob treated with polish. I use/have used Dillon, Midway, Flitz and Brasso. All work just fine... there are probably others that work too. Commercial re-loaders tend to use Brasso because it works really well... and yes it has ammonia in it... they say it doesn't matter... others don't agree with that.

I put polish in the corn cob final polish

Thanks in advance.
You are welcome in advance... :D

Chuck

·
Registered
97 Posts
Hunter said:

4- Corn media or walnut?

Thanks in advance.
Don't hesitate to ask. That is what the forum is for.

1) Yes, get some small pistol primers. Get all that you can find. They are considered legal tender among reloaders, so if you wind up with more than you need you can trade some for other things you need.

2) No. Or at least not necessarily. The three die sets will work fine for the calibers you are loading. The seating die will put a nice roll crimp on revolver ammo and a taper crimp on auto pistol ammo

3) 231/HP38 will work fine in the calibers you are loading. There are others.

4) Corn media, all the way. It will clean and shine the brass. In my experience it is by far the best thing going. I must like it I buy the stuff a ton at a time. ;)

5) Yes a bit of polish helps. There are many types that will work.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
If your budget allows it, I would try to spring for Redding or RCBS reloading dies instead of Lee. I have dies made by those two companies, plus Lyman, Hornady, Pacific, C-H, Herters, and of course Lee. Their products are OK, but Lee has become my least favorite brand of reloading equipment - and I am slowly phasing that stuff out over time. I do still use the Lee Factory crimp die on my 5-stage progressive loader where seating and crimping are done in two separate steps - otherwise, I try to avoid using those things. JMO :)

xtm

1 - 7 of 7 Posts