Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was shooting 460SW Mag warmup rounds in my fairly new 460V and had 2 minor lock ups. Load was a 230gr JHP over 29.0gr Blue Dot, a decently accurate round in this handgun. Shot the 1st round and could not cock the hammer, but didn't try to force it; instead I opened the cylinder which took a stout rap and inspected the ammo. No issues, no sticky case, no bullet jump, no proud primers. So I tried again, and had the same thing happen on round #3...couldn't cock hammer, stout rap to open cylinder. Again, no ammo issues. Switched over to heavier and hotter loads and had no more lock ups for 50 rounds. Then went back to the warmup loads, 2 cylinders worth, with no issues. Can anyone explain my initial lock ups? Anything I need to look for on my revolver that might require attention?

·
Registered
4,899 Posts

·
Registered
23,324 Posts
Check barrel/ cylinder gap.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for suggestions, guys. It looks like the problem is elsewhere.
Ejector rod tight
Cylinder gap = 0.006"

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
Residual oil in the chambers? Case setback will lock up a revolver. Especially one running at those pressures.

·
Registered
4,899 Posts
I had a 500 that would only shoot DA. Turns out the hand was defective (or at least that's what the slip for S&W service said.)

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Residual oil in the chambers? Case setback will lock up a revolver. Especially one running at those pressures.
I usually finish cleaning with a final pass with a lightly silicone-sprayed patch. I'll try patching it completely before I try again. Never been a problem before, but the 460V does operate at higher pressures than other handguns.

check cylinder thumb piece (nut) is loose??
It's not loose, Rule3. I've been keeping an eye on the screws since I did have the thumbpiece and the sight screw come loose on my 629.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Follow up: range trip last week, I shot more of the same loads in the OP without recurrence of the issue. I did nothing to the handgun, so I'll have to be wary of this. BTW, I checked for loose screws after the session as I always do and found three! The thumbpiece, the rear sight, and the top/rear sideplate screws. They're all tight and have blue locktite.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Hmmmmm . . . I’m glad I stumbled upon this. I’ve made a notation of this topic. When I’m finally able to go and shoot my 460V, I’ll certainly keep an eye out for anything out of the ordinary. Thx.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hmmmmm . . . I’m glad I stumbled upon this. I’ve made a notation of this topic. When I’m finally able to go and shoot my 460V, I’ll certainly keep an out for anything out of the ordinary. Thx.
Yup, as I mentioned elsewhere, I'm interested in the accuracy of the 45C rounds. :p

·
Registered
351 Posts
Sparkyv,
Once I finally get to the point where I can go and shoot it, I’ll let you know. Now, as for posting photos . . . . .

1 - 13 of 13 Posts