Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I’m trading a gun to pay off the balance of my 29-2 with some cokes, and with a little left over I’m getting this screwy thing. It is one of the original 5,000 combat magnums. Of these I’ve heard 500 or less were nickel. This is a nickel gun no doubt about it...until you get to the barrel. The barrel is factory blue or reblue or replacement. Some dang thing. It is stamped with the correct serial # on the barrel and the factory stamp is B with a diamond next to the serial number. I honestly don’t know how I feel about it lol. It’s definitely cheaper than an all nickel combat magnum and I suppose I could send it to fords or something (but then we are approaching nickel combat magnum money again). I love the action on my pre 27 is so I wanted an early 19 and it is that lol. It’s one of a kind too I’m pretty sure. Any one have any clue why they may have blued the barrel or replaced it with a blued barrel?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
The "B" in the diamond means the factory replaced the barrel. Can't help but wonder if at one time the cylinder was blue also. If so it could be a "Pinto." I believe that the factory would mark the barrel that way even if they changed it out at the factory before it was first shipped. Could be somebody ordered a "pinto" and the factory had to change out an already built gun. Just thinking out loud.

The rule of thumb was that during that time about 10% were nickel.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I’ve considered it was a pinto. The be is outside the diamond. I think it’s a B and not a D. There could be a B in the diamond. I spent a lot of time yesterday puzzling and puzzling. Maybe someone didn’t wanna spring for a nickel barrel after damaging it and got a blue. It so early in production maybe they didn’t have a nickel replacement barrel. Who knows. A factory letter isn’t going to help much I don’t think. I do know if it’s a replace barrel it has the lazy &, not sure when they switched.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
19,992 Posts
IMO, the factory replaced the original barrel with a blue barrel at the request of the owner. They clearly noted this with the stamping of the diamond and the serial number matching the frame. Does the serial number on the face of the cylinder match the frame and barrel?

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
IMO, the factory replaced the original barrel with a blue barrel at the request of the owner. They clearly noted this with the stamping of the diamond and the serial number matching the frame. Does the serial number on the face of the cylinder match the frame and barrel?
This was one of my thoughts, I can’t figure out why else they’d do it. I don’t know about the cylinder but I don’t think it’s got serial #s on it. I haven’t taken possession of it yet. Swapping guns with a dealer out in Texas. I asked him but haven’t gotten a response yet. I probably won’t have it for a week or two. If the cylinder doesn’t number than maybe it was a pinto with the cylinder replaced for some reason. When I get it depending on what I find I may letter it. I just have a lot of questions about it, although I know if there’s been rework your out of luck so far as records.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I just got access to the 4th edition of the Book and came across this information that wasn’t in the 3rd I’m aware of.

Parts modified by the factory on a new gun like a shortened barrel BEFORE originally being shipped can have a diamond stamp sometimes with an S inside indicating service dept. work, but w/o a rework date like guns returned to the factory!

Excerpt from: "Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson
The pre 19 has no rework date on the grip frame. I appreciate you chiming in Mr. Grassguy because I know you to be a knowledgeable fella. I hope nobody thinks they’re going to hurt my feelings telling me something I don’t wanna hear about this gun. I’m getting it as a shooter and with the idea that it’s “refinished condition”. Other than the blued barrel gun looks great.

·
Premium Member
19,992 Posts
Shucks, you'll turn a fella's head with them kind words. BTW, you can call me "Guy." :)

Reactions: jonesy814
1 - 8 of 8 Posts