Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
629-6 3" square butt with lanyard ring?

they've got $650 on it, no box. Appears barely fired.

comments/purchase dithers?

Don't know what I'd do with one like this. Seems a shame to leave it there....

·
Registered
593 Posts
I think that's the 629ES that came with one of those survival kits that S&W marketed for a couple of years.

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
It looks to me like a post-keylock "Trail Boss".

Not particularly practical or valueable. At least in my eyes. Certainly not $650 worth.

I think I'd just leave it lay there....

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No logo on frame other than the S&W on L side...I thought the various "trail boss" etc all had some identifier logo on the R of the frame with whatever it's particular ID was???

It's action certainly was nice & precise; I'm just up to capacity currently on my 3" & 4" N frames....they will take it to the gun show next week if it sits there unadopted....

·
Registered
497 Posts
If they would take 500, then I would think about it. They probably would not, but I would go no higher.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Sebago Son said:
toroflow said:
Lock and MIM, everything there to hate!
Don't forget the three piece barrel too I'll bet.
Actually I don't think that particular 629 has a 3 piece barrel, as I've seen these barrels alone for sale, and they look just like the old style (pre MIM, lock, etc.). The only thing wrong with these newer barrels is that the writing on each side is on the wrong side! "SMITH & WESSON" has always been on the port side of the barrel!! Its sacriligious to have it on the starboard side nowdays!!!

And 3-piece barrels are just another reason to thepuke

·
Registered
256 Posts
That's a round butt with nasty rubber conversion stocks... the lanyard ring is just the screw that holds the fugly stock on. Toss in the dreaded lock and the MIM parts and the price tag... thepuke

Not a desirable gun. :|

·
Registered
600 Posts
revorg said:
That's a round butt with nasty rubber conversion stocks... the lanyard ring is just the screw that holds the fugly stock on. Toss in the dreaded lock and the MIM parts and the price tag... thepuke

Not a desirable gun. :|
Agreed that is a round butt with the conversion grips. I had basically the same gun but it was the 1852-2002 anniversary edition that was magna ported. Price is too high, I think I bought mine for around $475 two years ago, ended up trading it for $600 value towards another gun.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Question:

so is the consensus that there are "NO" 3" square butts made? Or very few?

If this proves to be a square butt, would that affect the value?

And $650 does seem high regardless.

·
Registered
600 Posts
There are 3" sq butts out there. They are the line of the new classic series tapered bbls and sq butts nickel and blue with magna grips and the IL and the five screws, don't remember seeing a 629 in that config yet. Sq butts were eliminated before this dash number and Smith just started to bring them back. Anything else in this range would have been a custom or limited run type.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts