Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone here own one of the New York State Police model 10-6, chambered for 357? Regards 18DAI.

Reactions: kwboyken

·
Registered
600 Posts
No, but I had one of the replacement 28's. Maybe someone has one here.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got my letter on my S&W 10-6 357. No scanning capability, so I'll quote the high points for those who might be interested.

" Thank you for your recent letter requesting information on your Model 10-6 chambered in .357 Magnum."

" The 10-6, is the predecessor to the Model 13 originally designed for law enforcement agencies. This 4" barrel, square butt revolver, introduced in 1972, is manufactured on the same frame as the heavy barrel Model 10 ...."

" In 1972, Smith & Wesson had in inventory a quantity of .357 Military & Police revolvers with fixed sights. These were completed and although they have the Model 10-6 markings (.357 caliber), they are the original Model 13's. The approximate quantity is 1200 units and their serial numbers are dispersed throughout the D prefix serial number range. Between 1972 and 1974 a total of approximately 3,000 Model 10-6s were manufactured for a series of law enforcement agencies."

" We have researched your Smith & Wesson Model 10-6 Chambered in .357 Magnum, Predecessor to the Model 13, in company records which indicaite that your handgun, with the serial number D5569XX was shipped from our factory on March 28, 1973, and delivered to Richard Sherburne Co., Greenfield MA one of Smith & Wesson's law enforcement distributors. The records indicaite that this revolver was shipped with a 4 inch barrel, blue finish, checkered walnut grips. These revolvers were special built for law enforcement agencies and were chambered in .357 Magnum. The largest agencies to whom Mr. Sherburne's company supplied this model was the New York State Police."

Evidently it appears mine is one of the original 1200 10-6's in 357. This also answers the question of how many were made. Aparently 1200 + 3000. Very interesting background on a fabulous revolver. Regards 18DAI.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
I saw one on David Carrols table out in Tulsa. I forgot the price but it was interesting.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Very cool! My uncle was a NY State Trooper around that time frame. He purchased his service 10-6 when he retired. i should call him...

·
Administrator
8,101 Posts
Very cool revolver to have.. Definitely a keeper!

·
Registered
9,504 Posts
Very interesting 18DAI, you're a lucky man to have such a rarity as the NYSP model10-6. I've heard all the stories about the flame cutting and cracked forcing cones and summised it was the result of shooting the hot 125 grain JHP's. All I have ever fed my 13-1 is 158 grain JHP's, which shoot to point of aim at 25 yards without any of the above listed problems. My 13-1 is hands down my favorite K-frame magnum. . .But I speak of practicality while you have a collectable police handgun with a letter from Jinks, congrats, and thanks for sharing with us.

Hank

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for reviving this thread. I picked one of these up today at one of the local pawn shops.A model 10-6 in .357. I think it would have been made ( or shipped ) in 74. Serial # on this one is D7087xx. Barrel and cylinder is also serial numbered to match the frame.

·
Premium Member
18,624 Posts
1974-75. welcome to the forums from the Wiregrass!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for the welcome guys. Some one posted their factory letter on another sight, that said theirs had been sent back for refinishing or work. Looking at mine it has the B with a diamond on the bottom of the barrel and on the cylinder, with a date of 6/81 on the frame. Safe to assume that it was on of the police guns ? Would you letter this gun ?

·
Premium Member
18,624 Posts
Yours has been refinished by S&W in June of 1981. That reduces value slightly, but you have a very rare gun. Please post some pictures and we can gauge its current condition and better assess its value. Yes, I'd letter that gun.

·
Registered
7,759 Posts
Huh01 Been packing S&W round guns on and off duty for 43 years this July, and this is the first I'd heard of this model/designation.

That's what I love about this site.

Just when you think you're heard it all, something "new and exciting" comes along.

Can someone post photos of theirs?
lllfaaaa

1 - 19 of 19 Posts