Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a stainless 4" Model 66 I'd like to maybe sell but don't know the value. I've seen prices from $400 to $1600. I can't figure out what makes one hand gun more expensive than the next in the same family.
Also, what is the number stamped just below the base pin hinge: 28137. That and the serial number seem to be the only numbers on the gun.
Finally, just above the trigger guard it's engraved:
MADE IN U.S.A.
MARCAS REGISTRADAS
SMITH & WESSON
SPRINGFIELD, MASS.

Why the spanish?

·
Registered
12,600 Posts
The number 28137 is an assembly number used by the factory, and means nothing now. Early model 66's had a pinned barrel & recessed cylinders, and forged hammer & trigger. Those are generally worth more than later models. Also, size matters. The shorter barrels (2.5" & 3") are going for more than a 4 inch, which generally sells for more than a 6 inch. The 3 inch are the most rare, and most valuable. If you supply a few good pictures, some of us can give you a good idea of the value.
As to the Spanish...way back there were a lot of Spanish copies made of S&W revolvers, so they made sure that the fact their trademark is registered was known to those who speak spanish

·
Registered
12,600 Posts
Also, a model 66 would have to be pretty beat up to only bring $400, or someone is desperate for cash. A nice used 4 inch, P&R, with original grips and box would be worth $750 or more depending on your area, a little later one, but still nice, without box & with rubber grips, probably $650 or so

·
Registered
21,964 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Any pics of the 66? Would like to see it and it would help us answer more questions you may have.

·
Super Moderator
19,363 Posts
Not yet mentioned..... The serial number is on the bottom of the butt. You might have to take the grips off to see it. It will look something like this. 6K12345.
If we have that number and some photos of the gun we can give you a better estimate of the value.
Lastly, if you have the original box that came with it, will increase the value as well.

Reactions: azmick
1 - 6 of 6 Posts