Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back before Thanksgiving time I posted a picture of a Ruger American 9mm pistol that I bought in 2017 (new), I like the way it shoots and so does my son who shot it, but by way of the pictures I posted, one of our stellar forum members noticed the barrel color and that the gun was likely part of a Safety Recall based on the Model and a certain serial number range, which it turns out to be. He provided me a link to Ruger and I did the ‘on-line’ registration to have my pistol fixed, cool. However, Ruger sent nothing to indicate they had received my registration information, so I waited more than a week; no e-mail notification, no phone call, no box with a pre-paid label, so I called to see if my registration request was in their queue to be addressed. I went through the phone options, found the correct number and was instructed to leave my name, phone number, a summary of my call (to find out if my recall request was in their system) and to have my gun’s serial number available, which I provided… I never got a call back. So I called today thinking they were just busy the last time, went through the very same routine, again left my detailed information and never got a return call today. It’s not an emergency, I have more guns than I can ever shoot and I may never have the opportunity to shoot this one again, but even if I die and it’s either inherited or sold, I’d like it to be something without a Safety concern attached to it. Has anyone ever had this issue with Ruger? I’m sort of surprised and disappointed at the same time.:(

·
Registered
19,370 Posts
Might be shorthanded with the Covid thing. Did you call Southport Ct or the out west one? Would have been much more courteous with an email message at least. Not an issue with S&W, you almost always get to talk to a real person right away.

Reactions: Blackcloud2

·
Registered
11,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Might be shorthanded with the Covid thing. Did you call Southport Ct or the out west one? Would have been much more courteous with an email message at least. Not an issue with S&W, you almost always get to talk to a real person right away.
Daryl, I don't know exactly, it's a 1-800 number. Yes, I suspect the COVID and the run on guns has them backed up, that's why I wasn't in a hurry, but a simple acknowledgment I've been noticed in their system seems to be a reasonable expectation.

·
Registered
26,102 Posts
Between Covid and the astronomical increase in sales and needed service; coupled with the holiday season, things are probably backed up. I sent an email to RCBS for a part when I couldn't get a live body. Tried again the next day and got through; he said he had 300 emails to go through; meanwhile he got my part going out today, one day later.
I'd keep trying to contact a live person. When I get one of those idiotic phone trees, I immediately see if hitting 0 a bunch of times will bypass to a live body.

·
Registered
10,316 Posts
I wasn’t happy with a new Ruger purchase of a single action a few years back. I let them know it, they sent a label, job done they even returned my spring kit separate. My thing is some good QC would cover it, or would it? How many guns end up in a sock draw loaded and not fired......a bunch I’ll bet?

Thewelshm

·
Registered
26,102 Posts
If US makers had decided to follow Deming instead of ignoring his recommendations, makers would have the QA/QC built in from the beginning and not after the fact. It's a lot easier to do it right the first time than it is to correct it after.

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
If US makers had decided to follow Deming instead of ignoring his recommendations, makers would have the QA/QC built in from the beginning and not after the fact. It's a lot easier to do it right the first time than it is to correct it after.
I have been curious since all manufacturers expect the consumer to be their QC department are the investors aware of all the return numbers.
The best warranty is the one you never use.

Reactions: Abby'sDad

·
Registered
954 Posts
Blackcloud, the people on the Ruger Forum.Net probably can offer some help with your recalled gun. They have some folks that seem to be well connected with the company. No guarantees but worth a shot.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts