Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(I am relatively new to S&W and brand new to this forum, please forgive me if I expose myself as being ignorant of something that all S&W collectors know)

A little history:
My dad was an avid Model 70 Winchester collector and had some fantastic 70s that apparently were the real deal in terms of rarity (I remember he so excited when he bought a nice "clover tang"). He also had pistols and revolvers that he didn't talk much about.

That brings me to the subject of this post. Dad passed in 2009 and he left the whole collection to me. I recently started combing through the pistols and revolvers as I was curious about the value of the lot, and was thinking of selling some or all. I sacked them up and went to gun store. Several of the guns are nice (Browning HP, old Policia Federal Colt 1911) and some of it is junk, but one particular gun caught the eye of the gun store manager. The particular gun was one that I knew to be a .357 Magnum and I had fired it at the range (really loved it). I remember thinking it was odd that it had no model name or number.

The manager spent at least 20 minutes looking at it with some of his compadres and looking stuff up on the internet and digging out some reference book. They showed me all about it and showed me the book. They said it quite possibly was an actual a Registered Magnum, but they also said that that the RMs were subject to being faked. They wouldn't give me a price on the gun and told me to pay for the history research that is availble from S&W. I left the gun shop with a whole new hobby: learning what the heck a Registered Magnum actually is. In the last few days I have read a ton of information regarding RMs.

So, I am going to send in the form to Mr. Roy Jinks at S&W. While I wait for the response I was curious if any of you know if there are any dead-giveaways that would spot it as a fake?

Thanks for the help.
Patrick

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Nice entrance. Post several pictures and we'll be better able to give you an idea. How long did your Dad have this revolver? When did you first remember seeing it? Is there any box or papers associated with it? What's the finish like? Scratches, dents or discoloration?

After the pictures post, you should have some answers!

·
Super Moderator
19,704 Posts
We would love to see the photos, even before you get back the letter. It'll take Mr. Jenks more than a month before you get your letter back.

We can't hold our breath that long, we'll be as plum colored as an old Ruger Revolver while waiting to hear back from him.

Welcome to the forum, and please consider posting some photos of your collection. We'll be able to get you some accurate answers too.

Regards,
Gearchecker

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome to the forum! Nice entrance. Post several pictures and we'll be better able to give you an idea. How long did your Dad have this revolver? When did you first remember seeing it? Is there any box or papers associated with it? What's the finish like? Scratches, dents or discoloration?

After the pictures post, you should have some answers!
I think he bought traded for it in the mid 90's. There is no box (that I know of) and no papers.

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Patrick, that's a good start with the pictures. The hammer and rear sight appear correct. The grips are from a much later N frame and aren't correct for a RM. There should be a serial number at the bottom of the frame if you remove the grips. Do all numbers match? Close ups of all sides of the barrel, the crown, the right side, trigger,and the front and rear sight would be helpful. The details make the difference. Sorry to put you through so much work, but you might have a revolver worth hundreds, or thousands. The pictures will help to figure out possible value.

·
Super Moderator
11,414 Posts
Welcome to the forum. You sure know how to make an entrance.

It looks real to me but USMC in on the case and he would know better than me. The serial number will help greatly.

If its real, you have a treasure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
8,974 Posts
welcome01

Looks real to me also, but as Forester said, USMC in on the case!

Wow this is exciting, it is always great when one of these finds it's way out!

·
Super Moderator
8,974 Posts
I would also like to give kudos to the LGS that you went to. He did the right thing when he could have went the other way.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I would also like to give kudos to the LGS that you went to. He did the right thing when he could have went the other way.
YES. Absolutely. I was not sure how to say thanks to the manager when I left except to just say "Thank You". The gun store is LSG Tactical Arms, Lubbock, Texas. They knew I didn't know what the gun might be and they did do the right thing by starting my education process. These guys have the highest level of integrity as indictated by their actions.

·
Premium Member
19,958 Posts
welcome01 to the forums from the Wiregrass! You sir, have just about everyone's grail gun. A genuine Registered Magnum worth in the vicinity of $5000 even without the original grips. Your gun was made between 1935 and 1939 and only about 5,224 were manufactured. If you want to see what they are selling for, go to dcarroll.net.

·
Premium Member
19,958 Posts
The RM was S&W's flagship gun in the 1930s. It was the first magnum. Each gun was unique in its configuration...every option was available. S&W took a lot of time polishing and fitting the guns. They were the highest quality revolver made at the time. They came with a registration certificate from the company. They were expensive to buy...$60 retail...and expensive to produce. Key law enforcement and military people owned them, like J. Edgar Hoover, Gen. Geo. S. Patton, Frank Baughman, etc. They are highly sought after by collectors, hence the price.

Reactions: hmitch5430

·
Super Moderator
19,704 Posts
It sure looks like the real deal to me. If the provinence holds true, you have a very well respected and highly sought after S&W revolver. The Registered Magnum is in a class by itself, and they're all worth a small fortune. There are so few on the market, and since each one is hand built to custom specifications, there will be few if any that are identical to yours. You have a revolver that many consider the ultimate grail gun in the S&W collectors circles.

Once you have validation, you'll really have an idea of what it is and what it may be worth.
If it were mine thru an inheritance I don't think I would ever be able to part with it.

Please keep us informed as information becomes availalbe to you.

Regards,
Gearchecker

·
Premium Member
19,958 Posts
Is the gun's SN 533XX? If so, that would put it about mid-way through production which was 1935-39. About 5220 were made. Would you take some more pictures where we can see more of the gun?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It sure looks like the real deal to me. If the provinence holds true, you have a very well respected and highly sought after S&W revolver. The Registered Magnum is in a class by itself, and they're all worth a small fortune. There are so few on the market, and since each one is hand built to custom specifications, there will be few if any that are identical to yours. You have a revolver that many consider the ultimate grail gun in the S&W collectors circles.

Once you have validation, you'll really have an idea of what it is and what it may be worth.
If it were mine thru an inheritance I don't think I would ever be able to part with it.

Please keep us informed as information becomes availalbe to you.

Regards,
Gearchecker
Thanks guys. Thanks Gearchecker. I will keep you all posted. And yes, this one may be the keeper...

·
Registered
165 Posts
How many years ago did your Dad start collecting? Was he in the military?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
How many years ago did your Dad start collecting? Was he in the military?
He probably got his first gun sometime in the late 1940s; it was an old Hopkins & Allen 16 ga single barrel. Paid $5 for it. He was never active duty but was in the Royal Canadian Army Cadets (RCAC) which was mandatory back when he was in high school in the early 50s. I still have the old beater.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts