Smith And Wesson Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
15,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
.....at the moment. Back in October I was shoo my M60 Pro when I noticed the rear sight moving. The staked nut that hold the windage screw in had fallen out. Called S&W and got a return label. I got an email from them on November 3 saying they got the gun and supplying an RMA number.
Today in the mail I got a quote and work order from them. They want $94 to fix the rear sight, which I think should be under warranty since the nut SHOULD be permanently staked in place from the factory. I will be calling them since the original person I spoke to indicated it should be a warranty job. Not too happy about taking them 16 weeks to tell me it isnt fixed yet either
Rectangle Font Parallel Number Pattern

·
Premium Member
20,732 Posts
Jonesy, I would have them send the gun back to me with a rear sight blade kit. You can replace the nut and stake it with a small punch for about $12 (last time I priced the kit). You can probably buy a whole rear sight assembly for what they are charging. I wouldn't go to war with them over a nut that is easily replaced. Now if the barrel is canted...

·
Registered
15,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Jonesy, I would have them send the gun back to me with a rear sight blade kit. You can replace the nut and stake it with a small punch for about $12 (last time I priced the kit). You can probably buy a whole rear sight assembly for what they are charging. I wouldn't go to war with them over a nut that is easily replaced. Now if the barrel is canted...
Unless I can get them to say it is under warranty, I am on the hook for the $45 Estimate & Range test fee in order to get my gun back. Never asked them to fire it and there was no problem with the function so it didnt need fired, but I they want me to pay for that

·
Registered
10,317 Posts
.....at the moment. Back in October I was shoo my M60 Pro when I noticed the rear sight moving. The staked nut that hold the windage screw in had fallen out. Called S&W and got a return label. I got an email from them on November 3 saying they got the gun and supplying an RMA number.
Today in the mail I got a quote and work order from them. They want $94 to fix the rear sight, which I think should be under warranty since the nut SHOULD be permanently staked in place from the factory. I will be calling them since the original person I spoke to indicated it should be a warranty job. Not too happy about taking them 16 weeks to tell me it isnt fixed yet either
View attachment 497274
looks like you have been introduced to the "Breaking it off " term mate! I have no doubt they will make it right..

thewelshm

·
Registered
15,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am probably out of luck as far as the warranty, though I will still call and claim defective workmanship since the nut should be staked. Here is what the S&W website says:
Smith & Wesson’s Lifetime Service Policy begins after the warranty period has expired. Smith & Wesson will repair, without charge, for the lifetime of the original owner, any Smith & Wesson handgun purchased on or after February 1, 1989, and any M&P15 series rifle, that is found to have a defect in material or workmanship. Eligibility for this Lifetime Service Policy requires returning the Product Registration Card within 30 days of purchase. The Lifetime Service Policy covers functional defects; it does not include the firearm’s finish, grips, magazines or sights. The Lifetime Service Policy is in addition to and not an extension of the Smith & Wesson Warranty. This warranty gives you specific legal rights. You may also have other rights that vary from State to State.

·
Premium Member
859 Posts
They can either fix it on their dime and give their sliding down hill reputation a boost or be greedy and continue to slide down hill.
That's funny you would write this. Last week I was at Costco buying a new computer. The salesman and I engaged in conversation. I brought up S&W as I am always looking for weapons someone may want to sell. His first words were..."What has happened to Smith and Wesson"?. Turns out, he is a gun guy.
Frankly I haven't purchased a new revolver in 14 years so I'm out of touch on the comments about S&W. Enlightenment please

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
The Lifetime Service Policy covers functional defects; it does not include the firearm’s finish, grips, magazines or sights.
Interesting (about the sights not being covered). :unsure: I never knew that. Apparently, the Mothership considers sights to be a "normal wear & tear" item. :oops: I can see their reasoning to a certain extent, but geeze... :cautious:

Agree with the policy or not, this is something one needs to be aware of before shipping a gun back to S&W CS for any repair that includes the sights. In a more perfect and honest world, they would have told the OP about that.

It may be too late now to avoid the shipping and evaluation fees. Live and learn. :(

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Well for me in a nut shell, bought my GF a brand new 640 2 years ago and at a training class ahe was taking the brand new revolver jammed on the first shot. It went back to S & W for repair and their explanation of what they actually did to it was vague in explanation. Not much information.
A few years ago I bought a brand new 617, my first revolver with the internal lock (because after over a year couldn't find a nice one pre-lock). At the gun shop the salesman demonstrated the showcase model and after looking the gun over I asked if it was new. It looked "dirty". He took two more out of stock and they both looked "dirty " too. He just accepted the fact that they came from the factory that way. I was a little bit more critical as I was the one paying a premium price for the revolver. In essence, that's my issue., I'm willing to pay more for a better quality gun from a company with a reputation for better quality but it's not the way it turned out for me at least.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Well for me in a nut shell, bought my GF a brand new 640 2 years ago and at a training class she was taking the brand new revolver jammed on the first shot.
Sounds like the brand new Model 442-1 I bought (only brand new revolver from S&W in 35+ years). I bought it on-line and had it transferred in, so I couldn't try it before it arrived. Couldn't even pull the trigger 2 or 3 times in a row without it jamming. Sent it back to S&W CS and they fixed it, but did a ton of damage to it in the process. Apparently, it took a whole lot of tries to get it to work. All the screws were trashed too. Eventually got replacement screws and sold it off at a huge loss. Live and learn. In S&W's, older is way better. (y)

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I take that piece of paper to be a "quote" as to what S&W WILL do and how much it will cost IF you authorize them to do so. If you say "no thanks" all you should be out is the freight, both ways.

·
Registered
15,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I take that piece of paper to be a "quote" as to what S&W WILL do and how much it will cost IF you authorize them to do so. If you say "no thanks" all you should be out is the freight, both ways.
You have 2 choices on page 2 that they sent me. Choice one is pay to have work done, choice 2 is decline having the work done, but I agree to pay the test and evaluation fee. They will basically hold my gun as a hostage until I pay. I will be calling in a bit. They paid to send it in (supplied return label) but are charging $13 to return the gun

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
You have 2 choices on page 2 that they sent me. Choice one is pay to have work done, choice 2 is decline having the work done, but I agree to pay the test and evaluation fee. They will basically hold my gun as a hostage until I pay. I will be calling in a bit. They paid to send it in (supplied return label) but are charging $13 to return the gun
Well, that sucks. It appears they must be open under new management which isn't nearly as customer-friendly as they used to be. FWIW, at this time, there isn't anything to "test" and the "evaluate" is as simple as glancing at the gun and saying, "Yep, the nut is gone."

I guess I'm just spoiling for a good fight, but I'd tell them I'd pay the $13 to ship it back and nothing more.

·
Registered
6 Posts
View attachment 497274

·
Registered
6 Posts
I know some of you may have had a not-so-pleasant experience with S&W service but I'm not one of them. Over the past 30 years, I have used S&W service numerous times for little and big repairs and I've always had better than expected results 99% of the time. Call or email Kate Fredette at 1-800-331-0852 or [email protected] (Kate Fredette in customer service). I have worked with her many, many times on warranty and regular repairs. Let us know how it turns out.

·
Registered
19,413 Posts
Well for me in a nut shell, bought my GF a brand new 640 2 years ago and at a training class ahe was taking the brand new revolver jammed on the first shot. It went back to S & W for repair and their explanation of what they actually did to it was vague in explanation. Not much information.
A few years ago I bought a brand new 617, my first revolver with the internal lock (because after over a year couldn't find a nice one pre-lock). At the gun shop the salesman demonstrated the showcase model and after looking the gun over I asked if it was new. It looked "dirty". He took two more out of stock and they both looked "dirty " too. He just accepted the fact that they came from the factory that way. I was a little bit more critical as I was the one paying a premium price for the revolver. In essence, that's my issue., I'm willing to pay more for a better quality gun from a company with a reputation for better quality but it's not the way it turned out for me at least.
Both my 460 XVR Custom Shop wheelgun and my Kimber 45 Full size came 'dirty'. The Kimber shipped with a couple empty cases, the 460 didn't but was easy to tell the 460 was test fired because inherent to the 460, there is quite a bit of blow off between the front face of the cylinder and the forcing cone so even one or two discharges turns the cylinder face black.

No big deal for me and nice to know they were benched before I got them.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I know some of you may have had a not-so-pleasant experience with S&W service but I'm not one of them. Over the past 30 years, I have used S&W service numerous times for little and big repairs and I've always had better than expected results 99% of the time. Call or email Kate Fredette at 1-800-331-0852 or [email protected] (Kate Fredette in customer service). I have worked with her many, many times on warranty and regular repairs. Let us know how it turns out.
Thanks for the info! I have a new MP-2.0 CORE ordered and want to be prepared for whatever happens with it(y)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.