Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased two S&W 380 Bodyguards. One for me and one for my gal. Neither pistol would fire when we tried to shoot them. Pull the trigger and nothing happened. I emptied the rounds from the guns. I pulled the slide back almost 1/8 inch while holding the trigger all the way back and it fired then. These guns were taken back to the gun store and had to send them back to S&W for repair. These guns were NEVER TESTED! This makes me wonder about the quality of all of their guns they now produce. I believe I have bought my last new S&W firearm.

·
Premium Member
13,668 Posts
They may well have been test fired, and something happened to the action while in shipment or in the shop.

These pistols and the "EZ" series have what is apparently a cost reduced action. One of my students brought one of these to class and got off two shots before it jammed up so thoroughly that we could not open the action, and had to fire the cartridge in the chamber to make it safe.

I haven't studied the action or any shortcuts that were made in these, but S&W has done this kind of thing before with their cost reduced Sigma and SD series. The only S&W polymer pistols I recommend are the full M&P series guns - either full size or compact models, and the Shield pistols.

I have a M&P 9mm full size (police surplus) and it is an excellent pistol, as is my S&W Shield PC 9mm.

Enough people have approached the forum with problems with the EZ and Bodyguard series pistols that I will continue to recommend against them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They may well have been test fired, and something happened to the action while in shipment or in the shop.

These pistols and the "EZ" series have what is apparently a cost reduced action. One of my students brought one of these to class and got off two shots before it jammed up so thoroughly that we could not open the action, and had to fire the cartridge in the chamber to make it safe.

I haven't studied the action or any shortcuts that were made in these, but S&W has done this kind of thing before with their cost reduced Sigma and SD series. The only S&W polymer pistols I recommend are the full M&P series guns - either full size or compact models, and the Shield pistols.

I have a M&P 9mm full size (police surplus) and it is an excellent pistol, as is my S&W Shield PC 9mm.

Enough people have approached the forum with problems with the EZ and Bodyguard series pistols that I will continue to recommend against them.

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
IMO all manufacturers to save money have cut their QC department and have given the responsibility to the customers.
Sure they have a warranty and will fix it, but that doesn't help with the frustration of putting good money on a product that might work.

Reactions: Philo and Mild Bill

·
Registered
19,370 Posts
I do know all the high end stuff is test fired at least once. Cheap is cheap I guess.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
I just got a new M&P .22 compact. It is "not the gun" that my first one was when I got it three years ago. That one came home, got a quick cleaning and has been happily making "pop, pop, pop" noises on the range ever since. (Yes, it gets cleaned regularly.)

The first thing I do is look down the barrel to see the little specs of unburned gunpowder to verify that they did fire it at the factory. Haven't seen a totally naked barrel yet on any brand I've purchased.

This one had a sharp "mold mark" sticking out the back/bottom of the frame. It was a line all the way around the back edge of the bottom of the mag well and if it had been left as it was, I would have at least gotten a nasty scratch or even an actual cut! Good old Mr. Dremel to the rescue, and now it is smooth, but I didn't expect something like that from S&W.

And, I have no idea what they coated the whole inside of the gun with, but it wasn't your everyday gun oil, for sure. It was challenging to remove and had an orange tint to it. It was very thick inside the barrel, and that is most definitely not good if you are going to have bullets and fire passing through in rapid sequence.

As always when cleaning a gun, I start by "doing" the barrel with Hoppes and a good brass or bronze brush. While that is sitting, I use dry patches (old t shirts), then clean used toothbrushes for everything that is reachable in a field strip. Then I finished cleaning the inside of the barrel with brush and patches. Then I'm ready to go over everything with a lightly oiled patch/cloth. And THAT was when ALL THAT ORANGE STUFF came off.

I use EWG SLIP oil on all my guns now, which was one of the two highly recommended by SIG when I bought my first SIG. It seems to be a very effective cleaner and the guns I've used it on for the past 3 years have stayed in excellent condition.

·
Registered
19,370 Posts
Non chlorinated brake cleaner for me. Cheap and cuts everything and leaves no residue. That and my old standby BTE for a dirty tube. None of my rifles or handguns ever see anything but a nylon bore brush. Don't even own any bronze / brass brushes. Cannot speak about the less expensive S&W's everything I own is performance center stuff.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Paper German factory test targets came with my Sig P225, newish Walther P99 'AS' and "S&W" M&P .22-produced in Ulm Germany by Walther.
It's interesting to note different city proofmarks also: Kiel, Ulm, but where they tested the P6 used by federal agents is not on the symbol chart: very tiny, weird-looking eagle on the chin.

Can't imagine how US manufacturers would ever find the time or justify even a little extra expense for testing, or even just tiny proofmarks.

My somewhat new M&P .22 does well --not quite perfect-- with several brands, including Rem. Golden Bullet.

·
Premium Member
13,668 Posts
The EZ pistol just was recalled for problem with hammers cracking.

Reactions: ShooterGranny

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
I guess in a way I'm lucky that my EZ was early on. I normally don't volunteer to be a beta tester and pay full retail for the privilege, but I had a gun that was too much trouble to field strip and reassembly and thought I'd trade it for an EZ if I could find one locally. Lo and behold, the first pawn and gun shop I went to that day had one in stock.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts