Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HELP, I was cleaning my newly acquired 38 special M&P when I noticed what looked like a crack on the ?hand? or what ever it is called. It is under the side plate and has a pin to hold it in place. Pictures included. I think it is for turning the cylinder. Anyway, when I stressed it, it fell into two pieces. How do I go about getting it replaced and what position should it be in when I am replacing the side plate? I started a thread on July 7th to ask everyone what they could tell me about the piece and instructions on cleaning. Having cleaned and starting to re-assemble it I was getting excited to shoot it and now this. I again am asking for your sage advice on my next steps.

CEW

Attachments

·
Premium Member
20,765 Posts
Welcome to the forums from the Wiregrass! Go to gunpartscorp.com and look for the M&P parts. They should show 2 types of hands. You want the old type.

Guy

Reactions: jeepnut

·
Premium Member
13,726 Posts
You may also find Jerry Kuhnhausen's S&W revolver shop manual quite useful if you're going to be working on the action.

The S&W Revolver: A Shop Manual 5th Edition by Jerry Kuhnhausen

The action parts of S&W revolvers - even older ones - are pretty well made. Forged and hardened as needed.

That kind of break in a hand is probably very rare. Do double check that the cylinder has not developed end shake or excessive front to back wear, and that the rotation of the cylinder on the yoke is not binding.

Marc

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, Guy and Marc. I will look for the part there and see about the manual. I assume, (look out), this hand would have to be adjusted to make the timing correct, right? There is no excessive movement and the yoke is free. My biggest concern is that I may have broken it while replacing the side plate. So hopefully the manual will show me how to place it correctly while doing so. Any other advice would be greatly appreciated.

CEW

·
Premium Member
20,765 Posts
The hand should be inserted into the trigger and pushed fully forward into the handwindow before you install the sideplate. The sideplate is installed by inserting the upper part first under the lip of the frame then lowered down and snapped into place. Light mallet strikes or raps with a wood or plastic tool handle can also be used to seat the sideplate. There are lots of videos on YouTube that demonstrate this.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts