Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I’m looking for some cheap non-lead ammunition for plinking in.38 Special (for a polished 686 4”), and in .45 Long Colt (for a polished 460V 5”). I’m not particular as to the bullet(s) configuration, but I can’t use shot-shells — the 686 will “halo” the pellets, and I don’t even want to think about the pellets hitting the inner flange of the 460V’s compensator . . . I think frangible bullets would function OK in either gun, since they don’t disintegrate until impact with the target. Thot's/suggestions . . . .

·
Registered
12,806 Posts
OK, I’m looking for some cheap non-lead ammunition for plinking in.38 Special (for a polished 686 4”), and in .45 Long Colt (for a polished 460V 5”). I’m not particular as to the bullet(s) configuration, but I can’t use shot-shells — the 686 will “halo” the pellets, and I don’t even want to think about the pellets hitting the inner flange of the 460V’s compensator . . . I think frangible bullets would function OK in either gun, since they don’t disintegrate until impact with the target. Thot's/suggestions . . . .
My only comment is frangible ammunition won't be cheap and if you have a 460 like I have (XVR), unscrew the brake and shoot it without. Be prepared for a wrist breaker however.

·
Registered
9,130 Posts
Are you talking about lead like your basic lead SWC bullets? Or as in no lead at, even if it is inside a copper jacket?

·
Banned
918 Posts
Try a box of Wolf or Tula FMJ with the steel casings. IF they will eject OK from the cylinder, without getting stuck, a bulk order of these would be the cheapest you can find anywhere.
Some cylinders are loose enough, like my Vaquero, some, like my GP100, are too tight. (same manufacturer, Ruger)

·
Premium Member
6,379 Posts
A couple years ago I ordered a case of Federal and the seller included a couple free boxes of "Z-Clean". Supposed to be lead free 100% zinc bullet and no lead primer. Never shot it nor know anything about it, but since they were giving it away I guess it must have been priced cheap enough. Inceptor makes a lead free copper/polymer in 38 spcl but they're not cheap at $20/50. https://www.targetsportsusa.com/inceptor-sport-utility-38-special-84-grain-ammo-rnp-projectile-38splrnpbr-50-p-109193.aspx

IMG_0397.jpg

·
Registered
9,130 Posts
So, until the OP responds to my question, does anyone know exactly what he is looking for?

Reactions: Oldgungeezer

·
Premium Member
6,379 Posts
Since there's a zillion choices for cheap copper jacketed and plated lead ammo, I figured when he said non-lead ammo he meant lead free ammo.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
First of all – thank You to all of you who replied with your cogent remarks.

Sorry for delay in my responding . . . I guess I should’ve been abit clearer on my original question. To clarify – I’m looking for already-assembled ammunition with bullets that are either non-lead, or jacketed so as to keep the inner lead body from fouling the barrels of either of the guns specified. I don’t reload, so just the bullets alone won’t do me any good.

As for shooting the 460V without the compensator, I’ve been told by several people that I trust, and that have greater knowledge of firearms than I, that such is a terrible idea, as the compensator – when properly installed and tightened – is an integral part of the barrel’s engineering for its stability, and the gun’s overall longevity. And, since I paid an appreciable amount for that splendid hunk of polished stainless steel, I don’t want to inadvertently compromise it.

·
Registered
9,130 Posts
Plenty of jacketed and plated ammo versions out there......AmmoSeek might be a good place to start looking. As mentioned above, there are solvents tat will clean your bore without a lot of hassle..........

Reactions: Oldgungeezer

·
Registered
5,185 Posts
You kinda wasting you money with Lead Free Frangible rounds . Unless you are shooting on the range that requires it or shooting steel targets at close range. You don't need it. Copper coated or copper coated lead is just fine . Lead migration in soil is a Red Herron save you money and shoot regular ammo

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
As I use up my supplies of cast lead bullets I'm changing to mostly Berry's copper plated bullets. They keep the dies and the gun much cleaner. If you have a gun with oversized cylinder throats they will make a big improvement in accuracy too. I like them a lot.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My sincere Thank You to all who responded. I appreciate your taking the time to do so. I also admit to being analytical (sometimes overly so) by virtue of my former profession. Warmest regards to all . . .

1 - 15 of 15 Posts