Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started using Non Dilemma years ago because after my early life and time in the service I know what a dilemma is and what a concern or question is. If you arent worrying about dying .. its probably not a dilemma dont use it.

Anyway .. I LOVE my new 28. Trigger is breaking in nicely, its freagin delicious and short, front sight doesnt budge, its a beautiful gun, it is old school cool and ... I want to carry it. My wife thinks I should carry it. She says " you used to walk around with that Panerai and felt great about just wearing it and I think the same about that gun"

but ...

The finish is perfect and while I can make a beautiful holster that will minimize holster wear .. I can tell you from a guy that has probably made a 1000 holsters... there is no such thing as a holster that wont cause some rubbing. Some more than others but ..

So I have equally wonderful guns that .. while great, I shot them well and I trust them .. My Rugers GP's.

Now .. I have already taken the 28 to the range and I will continue to shoot it. Its not brikabrac its a gun! You need to shoot it

So if you have or if you were to have a older gun with almost prisitne finish ... would you carry it .. or should I treat it like my henry and just make it a special range toy??

·
Registered
9,922 Posts
I started using Non Dilemma years ago because after my early life and time in the service I know what a dilemma is and what a concern or question is. If you arent worrying about dying .. its probably not a dilemma dont use it.

Anyway .. I LOVE my new 28. Trigger is breaking in nicely, its freagin delicious and short, front sight doesnt budge, its a beautiful gun, it is old school cool and ... I want to carry it. My wife thinks I should carry it. She says " you used to walk around with that Panerai and felt great about just wearing it and I think the same about that gun"

but ...

The finish is perfect and while I can make a beautiful holster that will minimize holster wear .. I can tell you from a guy that has probably made a 1000 holsters... there is no such thing as a holster that wont cause some rubbing. Some more than others but ..

So I have equally wonderful guns that .. while great, I shot them well and I trust them .. My Rugers GP's.

Now .. I have already taken the 28 to the range and I will continue to shoot it. Its not brikabrac its a gun! You need to shoot it

So if you have or if you were to have a older gun with almost prisitne finish ... would you carry it .. or should I treat it like my henry and just make it a special range toy??
if you can live with holster wear go for it.. Its a tool use it mate.. although I probably wouldn't...:)

thewelshm

·
Super Moderator
19,704 Posts
Either carry it or buy another one just like it in a more used condition that you won't feel so bad about putting a little wear on it. Guns with wear have character, are proof they were meant to be shot, and were so.
To me, it's a gun, and it's made to shoot, carry and enjoy. I have no more room in my safe for guns that aren't used or shot.
If it was mine, I'd carry it and not be concerned about a little extra wear on it.

·
Administrator
8,322 Posts
It depends on your finances. If you can afford to buy a shooter grade Model 28, carry that one and keep this one in pristine condition. You can still shoot it but once you put wear on it, it's no longer pristine. And they're not making any more of 'em. Yes, it was meant to be a tool but the reality is there are just so many around and even fewer pristine examples.

Your call though.

·
Premium Member
2,969 Posts
Ah, the age old conundrum (how's that instead of dilemma?)... :D

I'm afraid I'm not going to be much help because I haven't been able to make a decision on many of my older guns that are in "as new" shape.

I do tend to lean towards the "why keep it in good shape for the next guy that will shoot it, instead of enjoying it myself" school of thought.

Easier said than done at times...

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Conrad ... I actually LOVE conundrum!! :D

Your thoughts are what I was working with when I first got it. " man held on to that gun in a safe and died without playing with it. Only for my dumb A&^ to come along and buy it" I should just throw caution to the wind and enjoy it.

Having said that ... I enjoy the hell out of shooting it, dry firing it and getting eyeball prints all over it but ... I hike, Ride motorcycles and engage in other activities that can mean a fall and Bang .. messed up gun.

I have two other .357's, a 10mm revolver, a 642, a couple of 9's and two or three other guns floating around here .. I have choices and really love those guns .. they just arent in the same pond as the new 28!

I would be unpleased if I dinged them but I wouldnt be heart broken. Still .. there is something to be said for wearin something special!! :)

·
Registered
19,885 Posts
I have a 6 inch and carry snubbies everyday. But I do shoot it regularly. I would not hesitate carrying it if it felt better than others and I could shoot it better. Just because pristine in the safe will not help you. But if you shoot it better and feels better then should be the gun you carry. I also think getting another more characterized 28 may not be the same (I have had several pairs and they are different). Got my vote to carry it.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I ran into something similar. I bought a snub 19-3 thinking it would be cool to carry. Then I got my hands on it, it looked nice in the pictures but when it came in oh man is it beautiful. Hardly a mark on it. So now I don’t want to carry it, I think I’ll maybe get a snub 66 to fit that bill at some point. I also want a 4” 28 because I would feel ok about leaving it in the console of my truck but... I wouldn’t want too nice a 28 for that. I see 5 screw 28s in great shape for about 900 or so and I wouldn’t want to let that bang around my console. I buy guns to shoot and I wouldn’t buy a gun just to let it sit in a safe all it’s life but there’s enough collector in me that I don’t want to beat up beautiful older guns and I’m willing to buy shooters.

·
Registered
8,985 Posts
Conrad ... I actually LOVE conundrum!! :D

Your thoughts are what I was working with when I first got it. " man held on to that gun in a safe and died without playing with it. Only for my dumb A&^ to come along and buy it" I should just throw caution to the wind and enjoy it.

Having said that ... I enjoy the hell out of shooting it, dry firing it and getting eyeball prints all over it but ... I hike, Ride motorcycles and engage in other activities that can mean a fall and Bang .. messed up gun.

I have two other .357's, a 10mm revolver, a 642, a couple of 9's and two or three other guns floating around here .. I have choices and really love those guns .. they just arent in the same pond as the new 28!

I would be unpleased if I dinged them but I wouldnt be heart broken. Still .. there is something to be said for wearin something special!! :)
Hey B,

Make a BBQ Rig for it. Only carry it on "Special Occasions".

Best of both worlds.

Later, Mark

·
Registered
8,985 Posts
I don't understand owning guns that aren't shot & carried, it's what they were made for. I also have beautiful wife but don't put her on a shelf...
I hear a blame CAST IRON SKILLET all a whistlin' an' such....

Best go 'head and DUCK! LOL

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hey B,

Make a BBQ Rig for it. Only carry it on "Special Occasions".

Best of both worlds.

Later, Mark
That is kind of where I am at as of this morning. I have made a ton of holsters for other people who write me and tell me how wonderful and beautiful they are and yet ... I have never made myself anything that wasnt made out of scrap leather and haphazardly dyed.

Think I am going to make something special for this guy and then .. where I wont wear it as a daily carry .. I can still tote it about now and again in some fancy leather and feel good about some jewelry I can wear that I can also use to take out an eye at 10yds.

Then I have two cool things I didnt have a month ago. A minty cool old gun and some spankin leather work! :D

·
Registered
8,985 Posts
1 - 20 of 31 Posts