Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,946 Posts
That's one handsome revolver. Welcome to the forum. Good choices, both.

It looks from closeup photos like "Pro Series" was an engraving on the side plate. I'd contact S&W about it. It might have just been missed...

I'm wonder if collectors would find this gun (without the engraving) especially collectible, in the same way that stamp collectors find errors more valuable.

Reactions: DP42

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all for the input. I think the factory just missed the laser etching on this one. Not sure if that was a common issue or not. I will float an e-mail to S&W to verify.

·
Super Moderator
32,708 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Good looking Smith, should be interesting to see what information S&W may provide.

·
Registered
12,893 Posts
I remember reading in some online forum or another of someone else having a S&W revolver that was missing a rollmark, or Pro Series etching. If I remember correctly, S&W declined it under warranty, saying it was only cosmetic. I wish I could remember more. If it was a rollmark that they no longer use I could see them not wanting to set up for a one off, but the laser etching of Pro Series is still being done and would seem to be an easy thing to do

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If I remember correctly, S&W declined it under warranty, saying it was only cosmetic.
Personally, I prefer the look without the "Pro Series" etching, so I think I would decline even if they offered to add it. Now I'm mostly interested to learn if it was just an error or something along the lines of what was suggested by ussmanlovede36

·
Registered
198 Posts
Several years ago I bought a new SSR. It did not have the "Pro" etching on it. Some time after I bought mine, I noticed that the Pro Series marking started appearing on the later SSR guns.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update for those curious & for future readers.

S&W did respond that this revolver was manufactured on 04/21/2008 and is in fact a Pro Series and should have been marked as such.

They offered to send me a return label to have the Pro Series mark added, but I am thinking of keeping it as is. Any particular reason that you guys can think of for me to reconsider and have it added?

·
Registered
94 Posts
My 5" 686-6 came with "Rappy" engraved on the barrel and a Raptor dinosaur logo on the frame. I contacted S&W and they could not explain the engraving but told me that it was a Pro Shop gun even tho' it is not so marked.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My 5" 686-6 came with "Rappy" engraved on the barrel and a Raptor dinosaur logo on the frame. I contacted S&W and they could not explain the engraving but told me that it was a Pro Shop gun even tho' it is not so marked.
Like this? Lol!

From sportsmansoutdooor:

This S&W Model 686 SSR Pro Series "Rappy" Revolver was a special-edition, manufactured as an export for the Italian market. It is part of our S&W Archive Collection - a collection of rare Smith & Wesson firearms that are all brand-new, in original condition, but no longer manufactured.

·
Premium Member
10,946 Posts
Keep the letter, keep the revolver as is and if you ever sell it, sell it as a rarity, "the one that got away"...

It's almost like lettering the gun for free...

Reactions: DP42

·
Registered
94 Posts
Like this? Lol!

View attachment 485242

From sportsmansoutdooor:

This S&W Model 686 SSR Pro Series "Rappy" Revolver was a special-edition, manufactured as an export for the Italian market. It is part of our S&W Archive Collection - a collection of rare Smith & Wesson firearms that are all brand-new, in original condition, but no longer manufactured.
Well, son of a gun ..... ! Yep, that's my "Rappy" 'cept mine has a 5" barrel. When I contacted S&W they had no info on it. I guess it depends on who responds to the inquiry.

Made for the Italian market? Wonder how in hell mine made it's way to Canada and why the Italians wanted such a logo. Something we don't know about Italian pop culture?

·
Premium Member
18,758 Posts
I did an Internet search and it seems a lot of dealers in Canada were selling this model. It is not in the SCSW, 4th Edition...but the French model is.

·
Registered
94 Posts
They disappeared in a hurry and went for less than unmarked 686-6 models. I jumped on it and have not regretted it. I'd be happier with a 4" model as I like the look better. I enjoy dry firing it at the TV set, especially commercials. The DA pull is silky smooth and getting silkier.

I am amused by the Raptor logo but I think I'd want a little more horse power in a gun if I was dealing with a Raptor.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
When I contacted S&W they had no info on it. I guess it depends on who responds to the inquiry.
This is too funny. I'm just imagining a random customer service employee at S&W being very confused and asking their boss if they ever laser etched a dinosaur onto a 686.

·
Registered
12,893 Posts
I have seen pictures of a few other S&W revolvers with unusual names on them. They were all produced for the foreign market

·
Registered
94 Posts
When sold domestically, they go for a substantial price reduction. That works for me .....

It could have Micky Mouse on it for all I care.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts