Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seriously..some people. I needed the rest of the pipes in a kit to fix a first year WRX that needed an exhaust..but refused to put this "muffler" on.

The world does not need another LOUD Subaru..

You can thank me any time...:)

Hmm..I wonder if I could make a can cannon out of this thing...

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
I feel the same way about bikes .. first thing a guy does is go and get the least restrictive loudest exhaust he can find. Now I am not an old curmudgeon .. I get it .. but without about half dozen other changes all it does is rob a bike of low end grunt .. one of the most fun parts of riding a bike especially if its a V twin.

Now there are some pipes and systems that will make the sound "better" without robbing power or being obnoxiously loud but obnoxious usually rules the day.

·
Registered
19,552 Posts
I have a Harley shop just down the street from me. I live about 1/4 mile from the main highway, but every weekend I get to kisten to Harleys with straight pipes blowing by. How do thery pass State Inspection, being so loud? Maybe they put on the original mufflers.....I guess. 🙄 Bob

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
I hate fart-can exhausts. They do the same thing to small 4-bangers that they do to a V-twin bike.
250 HP and only 75 ft-lbs torque, and sounds like someone stuck a bugle up their butt.

·
Registered
20,410 Posts
Seriously..some people. I needed the rest of the pipes in a kit to fix a first year WRX that needed an exhaust..but refused to put this "muffler" on.

The world does not need another LOUD Subaru..

You can thank me any time...:)

Hmm..I wonder if I could make a can cannon out of this thing... View attachment 472621
Looks like a over the shoulder rocket launcher and thanks for helping noise pollution by not installing that.

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
I feel the same way about bikes .. first thing a guy does is go and get the least restrictive loudest exhaust he can find. Now I am not an old curmudgeon .. I get it .. but without about half dozen other changes all it does is rob a bike of low end grunt .. one of the most fun parts of riding a bike especially if its a V twin.

Now there are some pipes and systems that will make the sound "better" without robbing power or being obnoxiously loud but obnoxious usually rules the day.
I had straight pipes on my 94 inch Sportster. I was only loud if I cranked the throttle (or on the expressway). Nice thing was the cars definitely know I was there. ;)
The way I had it set up I could run 4th gear from 20 mph to 150. At 20 in 4th all you would hear was the valve train and the occasional WOOMPH.

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It’s not bad enough the bike pipes are frogging loud.. the damn bike stereos are blasting away too and not just loud but annoyingly bad taste in music. It really is noise pollution times 3.

·
Premium Member
Model 27 and Model 19 (early builds)
3,504 Posts
I enjoy a nice old Harley with straight exhaust. Just wait two seconds, and it will move on.

Ya'll sound like a bunch of wimpy liberals. I have a 2019 Shelby GT350 who some say is loud. It makes some noise when passing your car. Just saying, but you need to consider a faster car. ;)

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Put the cans on for him. Tell him you charge by the decibel. And make him sign an agreement that he will not come within 5 miles of your home or business.

·
Registered
12,796 Posts
I hate fart-can exhausts. They do the same thing to small 4-bangers that they do to a V-twin bike.
250 HP and only 75 ft-lbs torque, and sounds like someone stuck a bugle up their butt.
Sound like a stuffed up vacuum cleaner to me...

·
Registered
12,796 Posts
I had straight pipes on my 94 inch Sportster. I was only loud if I cranked the throttle (or on the expressway). Nice thing was the cars definitely know I was there. ;)
The way I had it set up I could run 4th gear from 20 mph to 150. At 20 in 4th all you would hear was the valve train and the occasional WOOMPH.
No way a sportster can do 150 unless it's downhill with a tailwind. Maybe 100 on a real good day. 150 is a pipe dream or a bad speedometer. Probably both. Maybe a V rod, maybe. Last one I raced on the e-way with my 2300 Rocket, he was all done about 120.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
You guys must be nuts. 100 or 120 on two wheels on public roads - with the nimrods out there who don't seem to either see or care about motorcyclists?
Hell I gave up street riding years ago - after the third time someone hit or otherwise about killed me with their car.
I'm trying to live long enough to enjoy retirement and (hopefully) grandkids someday.

Reactions: Breakaway500

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Loud exhaust is just...annoying. Very annoying and useless. My very quiet ride smokes Mustangs...every..single..one....and they never know what hit them. Kind of like a supressed weapon. Keep making noise..I'll find you..

Last week a very noisy 2020 Shelby GT500 learned the hard way that big noise does not mean fast..it just means loud. 800 HP, ear splitting exhaust..race slicks. Even with almost a double horsepower to weight advantage for the GT500....I gave him a 5 second lead (at my insistence) and I still beat him by over three seconds at Whiskey Hill Raceway. Easiest $100 I've made in weeks. He's probably out now trying to buy a 2021 Shelby that will be even noisier..

This is Max...my weapon of choice. My Stealth Fighter. I've owned it for 13 years and its been all fun. This shot is from 2015 so he's changed a bit.

Street legal fun but also a lethal race track weapon.. 88dB...shhh..be vewy quiet..I'm hunting Mustangs,,,and Corvettes,and Porsches and BMWs. Talks cheap,let's race!

Mustangs are for old fogies that think they are fast and furious. Most of them I can dispatch with my 2000 Ford Focus...never mind needing to use Max.

Poor little wannabes screamers....just like Harleys. Smoke and noise makers!

It's all good fun till race time and then it's watch my taillights disappear...and stop picking on little old ladies in Mini vans!

I'll be at Whiskey Hill tonight from 4-8pm taking some more candy from crying babies. Think I'll bring my 2000 Focus...(91dB) No need to crush a fly with a hammer. Everyone is welcome to come participate. Or not.

This is Max in 2020...

It's good to be the King...and the only noise you will hear is when I rip you mirrors off as I pass. Silence IS golden!

Here is the customary smiley face so no one is offended..:)

Have a safe and QUIET day. The rest of the world will appreciate it..

·
Premium Member
6,366 Posts

94 inch is a monster motor in a Sportster. Nice :cool:

·
Registered
10,894 Posts
Used to have a neighbor that put an after market exhaust on his Harley, yes, it's loud. It hot louder when he blew the guts out of his muflers because he didn't adjust the intake to match the new exhaust. That thing popped, farted and probably craped chunks when it blew out. I like the 2 into 1 header on the Lard Ass, quiet, smooth, enjoyable. We rode it to Vegas and were able to listen to music riding.
20200302_154308.jpg

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
It’s not bad enough the bike pipes are frogging loud.. the damn bike stereos are blasting away too and not just loud but annoyingly bad taste in music. It really is noise pollution times 3.
Oh don't get me started on the radio!! I am a motorcycle purist. When I ride I want to hear the wind, I want to experience the smells, I want to hear the tranny snick through the gears and I want to hear the engine work.

I ride in the rain, when its 117 degrees out, I have ridden in the snow and I have ridden on a million beautiful days. I love everything about riding and have been doing it for about 42 years.

There is a guy that passes my home every now and again and he has his radio blaring on his bike and its almost always some terrible ballad from the 70's. I just think ... your losing half the experience of riding that bike listening to terrible music and ... why do I have to listen to it with you!!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts