Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay.. help me out here. I'm not a newbie to firearms by any stretch, but until lately, I haven't paid all that much attention to model numbers.

At the risk of sounding like an idiot... WTH does "no dash" refer to? A dash between mdl and the #? Somewhere else?

·
Registered
19,992 Posts
Yes, means it is the first version of a particular model. I have a 17-4, which means it is a model 17, 4th revision. Certain versions seem to demand higher prices than others, depending on what the change was.

Reactions: mjn and Curt360

·
Premium Member
2,613 Posts
I've got a couple of "no dash" guns. I didn't buy them because they were "no dash," it just happened that they were. For all practical purposes, it doesn't make a lot of difference to the user. I've also never even seen that a particular "dash number" made much difference in the price. Condition, condition, condition. Now to someone working on a gun, it can be important. You might need a different part for a -4, than you for a "no dash" depending on what was changed. For example one of the changes made, and I'm not a expert so I'm not sure when it was made was a change from left to right hand threads on the ejector rod. That's a big change since the threads are easily damaged.

What a dash number also does is give you a rough idea of when a gun was made. Not so much by the year, but for example you'll know a "no dash" is older than a -1 and so on. Generally speaking "no dash" guns just have the Model number stamped on the inside of the yoke, but I have seen -0 guns on a couple of occasions.

Reactions: mjn and Curt360

·
Registered
19,992 Posts
I've also never even seen that a particular "dash number" made much difference in the price
Of course it does. A model that changes from P&R to not makes a difference. A model before the Hillary Hole will command a better price than one with that contraption. Certain modifications are desireable, others not so much.

Reactions: Cliff and mjn

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This question came up with a recent purchase/present. My better half bought me a mdl 36 for Christmas. (I made a separate thread for this) . It's still setting at a local gun shop, due to the new law in this dam state that says even though I have a CPL, I have to wait 10 working days till I can pick it up..
I looked at it pretty closely before I handed over the cash, but didn't have my reading glasses on. I'm pretty sure there is a dash between "mdl" and "36" but can't be totally sure. I just kept seeing them for sale, some saying "no dash" & didn't know what the heck they were talking about.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
A dash between MOD and 36 (like this MOD-36) isn't what the "no dash" moniker is referring to.
A no dash is the first version of model.
For example: One marked MOD 36 (or MOD-36) is a "no dash" because the next iteration would be MOD 36-1 (a.k.a. Model 36 FIRST revision)
Think of the "no dash" as being a MOD 36-0. There were never any gun versions marked as dash zero (-0), they are what is referred to as the NO DASH (first) versions of the model.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A dash between MOD and 36 (like this MOD-36) isn't what the "no dash" moniker is referring to.
A no dash is the first version of model.
For example: One marked MOD 36 (or MOD-36) is a "no dash" because the next iteration would be MOD 36-1 (a.k.a. Model 36 FIRST revision)
Think of the "no dash" as being a MOD 36-0. There were never any gun versions marked as dash zero (-0), they are what is referred to as the NO DASH (first) versions of the model.
Ahhh..... Okay. Now I get it!

Are there any "dash" model 36's?

·
Registered
23,436 Posts
Usually the dash (engineering changes) don't make much difference since they're just a way to simplify (lower) production costs. However, if you happen to find a Model 28-1 you just hit the lottery. We thought they didn't exist until a forum member found one a few years ago & was kind enough to show us & let a few of us shoot it.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Ahhh..... Okay. Now I get it!

Are there any "dash" model 36's?
Sure. They went all the way up to at least the 36-10 which was released in 2001.

Reactions: mjn

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Usually the dash (engineering changes) don't make much difference since they're just a way to simplify (lower) production costs. However, if you happen to find a Model 28-1 you just hit the lottery. We thought they didn't exist until a forum member found one a few years ago & was kind enough to show us & let a few of us shoot it.
...and then there is the model 13 which was introduced as a 13-1. There never was a 13 no-dash.

Reactions: Injunbro

·
Registered
20,909 Posts
Actually, the dash numbers don't make much of a difference in the way a particular model shoots. I have 3 different models of K frames M-67, M-66-1, M-10-7. They all have good triggers, and aside from barrel length.......they are pretty much the same. I often wonder why people always want to see how it shoots. Aside from different calibers having different recoils........they all shoot pretty much the same. ;) Bob

1 - 11 of 11 Posts