Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, new to this forum. I am a new owner of a Smith and Wesson model 19. My father bought this gun about 60 years ago. I was visiting him over Christmas and he gave it to me when I told him I was looking to buy a revolver. It is a a no dash?, first model 357, serial number K319XXX, with a 4 inch (actually more like 3 3/4 inch) barrel. After doing a little research, I am not sure I want to pack this gun around. This gun has been used, not abused, just packed around quite a bit. Functionally the gun is great, but it does have areas where the bluing has rubbed off and the grips have the usual amount of wear for a 60 year old gun that hasn't been locked in a safe. I am now trying to decide if I pack this gun around the mountains next year while bow hunting or put it in my gun safe and go buy a different gun to pack around and keep this one locked up? I would appreciate your thoughts.

·
Registered
make mine 45 acp 😎
4,039 Posts
K319XXX would make it a 1958 gun, so yes its a no dash.. while not run of the mill - not a rare gun either, and so the condition would be the primary valuation point..

its difficult to estimate without pictures, but ball park based on your description you are looking at a $600 +/- gun . A few hunting trips that don't significantly change the condition wouldn't much impact that value.

a +99% gun with matching box/papers/grips is more like $900+

As a family gun, you would have to decide if is worth more to you as a family piece or as the tool you need while hunting - what if you lost it ?

As a tool, the 19 is a capable 357 mag shooter - but a bit light to handle full on loads. A "L" frame (like a 686) is probably a 'better' tool as a woods piece, but the one you have in hand is more than serviceable.

since you asked - my personal opinion would be to safe it if i was something my father owned. i have a dozen guns that can ride the woods, but none are ones my father had..

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
Good advice from both of the above members. A model 19 is a great revolver and yours is a classic, plus from your father. I would definitely keep it and enjoy shooting it, but I agree with blazermark that is not the best option for full bore .357 loads though it will certainly handle any normal amount. I also prefer a 4" 686 for a woods/mountain gun due to the stainless being easier to maintain out in the weather. The 686 is certainly heavier to pack around, but that weight comes in handy when touching off rounds. Enjoy your new heirloom.

·
Premium Member
12,664 Posts
I suspect your father gave you his revolver anticipating that you would use it. If it's in good mechanical condition, but the finish has been worn from carrying it it's collector value would be less.

I'd carry it, keep it properly holstered in a good quality 4 inch "K" frame holster.

What you carry comes down more to what you intend to use it for. By today's compact semi-auto standards it's a bit bigger, heavier and has less capacity than modern semi auto handguns. If you intend concealed carry, I'd get something else, and put this one away as a family heirloom.

Know that if you sell it, you'll probably always regret doing it.

·
Premium Member
13,111 Posts
Unless it's a pristine safe queen, I'd use it (assuming you don't prefer a different caliber). If you should choose to buy and use a different gun, I strongly advise you to not get rid of your family heirloom.........it was your Dad's revolver and your family deserves to have it.

Regarding barrel length: Just an FYI, they are measured from the front of the cylinder to the end of the barrel.

Welcome to "The Friendly Forum".

Geezer

·
Registered
203 Posts
A 4" M19 is an eminently usable field gun... powerful, accurate; not too big, not to small; incredibly versatile ammo selection. It sounds like yours is not in a condition where prudence would banish it to the gun safe for preservation.

I'd plan to just add a little honest wear of my own, and continue to build the family history. Add a few more stories for when it's time for you to pass it on. ;)

And welcome!! :D

·
Registered
818 Posts
As a gun from my father it would be one I wouldn't carry, only because of sentimental reasons. Any of my handguns that I acquired that had finish "character" were always my favorites to carry, since they were never going to be collector pieces. Now that I'm older I don't believe in 'Safe Queens" so I have all of my handguns of caliber greater than .22lr in regular rotation, regardless of their former safe queen status, but I wouldn't carry one from my father. To precious.

·
Registered
9,926 Posts
Greetings mate if you take it on the occasional trip, use a "Bianchi", Galco or something that snaps tight holster mate... Welcome.

thewelshm

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sincerely, thanks for all the comments guys. I really appreciate all the honest answers. I'm still a bit on the fence, whether I will carry this gun next year, but I am leaning towards not. I hunt with a bow in bear county, both blacks and G’s, and will not get out of the truck without a pistol, but I might end up packing my Ruger Blackhawk all over Wyoming again. Happy New Year!

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
A M19 is a good woods gun.
What neck of the woods you gonna be stompin?
If it's grizzly or moose territory I'd consider going up in caliber to 44 mag. Yes, I said moose. Most people don't know it but moose kill more people in and around Anchorage AK every year than bears do, and they are BIG - like 1500 pounds on the hoof.
A hot 357 with 180gr bullets will likely stop Smokey or Bullwinkle, but a 44 mag with 300gr pills will do it better and faster.
If black bear is the worst you're likely to run into the the 357 should be just fine. A 4" six shot like your 19 is a good all around package for size, ammo capacity, and portability.

Reactions: Oldgungeezer

·
Registered
27,091 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Would love to see the 19 if you get the chance to post pics of it. As others have stated get out and enjoy it.:)

Reactions: Oldgungeezer

·
Registered
7,794 Posts
Welcome aboard from the "GunShine"state of Florida. weiweinp

State of over 2 MILLION 21 THOUSAND Concealed Carry Licenses and counting!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
F6DAADAE-8957-4E07-87CC-903FC1C9356B.jpeg 185A28B9-63F7-4AA9-9744-69D86B0B8700.jpeg
Finally figured out how to upload pictures here... (I hope). A little bit more about this gun, since everyone has offered me such honest advice. My father bought this gun in Alaska in the late 50’s from someone that needed the money to get back to the states. I won’t tell you how much he paid for it, but I’m pretty sure it would cost more to fill your pickup with gas, nowadays. Me and my Dad have been on hundreds of hunting, fishing, and camping trips and on every one of them this pistol was in his travel bag, or under his pillow. I guess that means it has a lot of sentimental value.

·
Registered
27,091 Posts
Thanks for sharing the pics. Lots of good memories and a piece to keep and pass on.:cool:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Got a 19-3 for Christmas and really like it. My Dad only had a couple of guns, a Browning Sweet Sixteen and a S & W .22 kit revolver. He sold them both to a local gun shop for little to nothing a couple of yrs. before he passed. I sure would have liked to have been given those two guns, but it wasn't in my cards. Oh well. Take care of your Dad's 19 and cherish it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts