Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used to be a cat - could see in the dark real easy. Now everything is either black, or dim. Hardly any shades of grey at night. So I've been thinking about night vision optics.

But what to get - Gen I, II, or III? I think IV is military only? Monocular? binocular? Fits picatinny rails, or hand-held? Infrared illuminated or ambient light only?

Now I got a headache!

I think I want Gen (something I can afford) with reasonable clarity - I don't want "I see a blob out there, wonder what it is" but I know I won't be able to afford the highest res stuff. If I can count the points at 100 yds at midnight , "wow". If I can see "it's a deer" at 100 yds, I'm cool with that. I don't have any rails on my weapons where adding NV optics would work, so no worry there, unless I replaced a scope with magnified optics.

So what have y'all done? What would you recommend? A flashlight? Or some cool but (kind'a sort'a) inexpensive optics?

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
SD, maybe a Crimson Trace? Most of my carry pistols have Tijicons installed, but that dont let ya see whats 10 or 20 yards out. I had a 1911 with rail a few years back with a Light/Laser combo, and it worked really well, but is harder to conceal. Mike

·
Registered
10,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Right now more interested in looking around, Snakedriver. Don't have a weapon it'd fit without removing an existing scope. Not really into night hunting, so "looking around" would cover it nicely.

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
sdi, check out Walmart. The stuff they sell now reminds me of the 70s - 80s military 'devices'. Peruse THIS SITE and maybe it'll help you decide. I'd bet you're looking at 'needing' at least Gen 2.

·
Registered
20,897 Posts
Is this for varmit hunting at night? I think that they have scopes for night time hunting. Bob

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
Not to make "light" of your problem sdismukes, but:
Hey, just compensate from the bright muzzle flashes & keep firing.......

(But seriously, my night vision has gone to hell too. I can't even see very well to drive at night any more).

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
A buddy of mine has one of those $4k head gear NV goggles. I tried it once and it was awesome!!!!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts