Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Multiple brands of firearms, okay here goes - Things that go bump in the night: I'm guessing, but I think most of us in the forum would have a loaded gun within reach after we shut the lights off at night.

Some on the forum must live in the city, while others, like me, live in a remote rural area; perhaps our choices are different.

I'd like to post my choices of night ordnance, and I live in the bottom of a narrow valley, and would like to invite you to share with others what different brands you choose or would like to have for greeting a rude univited guest in the middle of the night - pictures appreciated.

You will no doubt notice the 10 million candlepower battery light in the central location of the post; it illuminated an uninvited coon hunter one night.

My Ithaca DS Police Special is my go to, as I consider it good close up night ordnance. . .The two Glocks, a 31 with the light and a 32, as well as the 45 Colt Combat Commander all have Tritium sights.

The S&W 327 and the Glock 31 both have lasers. I have small high intensity flashlights to dazzle any univited night guest.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
I've got an Rem. 870 in the corner near the bed (no pic) and the two pictured below in the night stand. The Model 65 with snake shot (for small 4 legged and no legged creatures) and the HK USP Compact Tactical in .45 ACP with the UTL (that's HK speak for light) with 9 rds. loaded and an extra 10 rd. magazine handy (for the bigger 4 legged and 2 legged creatures). kfjdrfirii

·
Registered
9,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Charlie, I was admiring your model 65, thinking I oughta have one. Then I thought, well - I do have a three inch S&W Performence Center Model 66-5 (pre-lock) so what's the big deal on a 3 inch, round butt 65?

Because it is so clean, unencumbered with a gaudy front sight and adjustable rear sights. Just a great carry gun.

This is called rationalizing the yearning for another Smith and Wesson.

Just so I don't hijack my own thread, I'll post the 66-5, SEE, it has Crimson Trace grips and is a night-stand gun for dealing with night intruders.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Thanks for admiring the 65. I just got a great deal on it from a friend a couple of months ago. Since it's the 65 I thought I'd go easy on it and just keep it loaded with the snake shot. I would carry it but I've got a 640-1 now that is easier to hide and carry and I've got it loaded with little sticks of dynamite (as least that's what it feels like when I set one off with the Barami Hip Grips on it!). I also keep it in the night stand when I'm not carrying (meaning I would be asleep :mrgreen: ).

VERY nice 66 you have there! kfjdrfirii

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
Sorry but dont know how to post a pic here,but my bedside companion is a Glock 23 with a light - or two and a backup of a S&W 442.

·
Registered
9,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Charlie: A 640-1, what a unique idea. Okay, I could use a 640-1 and hold one of the high intensity illuminators in a two handed grip WITH the 640, thereby blinding the intruder and.................

BTW, are you in the Hill Country 90 west of Austin? I flew over that area
and was quite impressed with the scenery while aviating.

Hank

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
You could mount your 640 UNDER that big a.. light! Yes I am out here among the sticks in between Harper, Fredricksburg, Kerrville, etc. Not very pretty scenery right now with all the dead trees and yellow dead grass. But it's pretty when we get rain.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
scaatylobo258 said:
Sorry but dont know how to post a pic here,but my bedside companion is a Glock 23 with a light - or two and a backup of a S&W 442.
See if this link will help with picture posting.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1658

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
This is my nightstand gun stocked with Federal Hydra Shoks............

Although, this has found it's way there as well on a number of occasions, stocked with Silvertips............

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
I use Imageshack.us and have had good luck with that. It seems pretty easy to me. Once I get the link I just copy and paste. If you want more info on imageshack just pm me and I'll go through the steps. It's easy (has to be for me to do it).

·
Registered
9,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey LeMat, you live up thar in Big Sky Country, so I figured your Red Hawk would be your "go to" when one of them grizzle bars comes knocking on your door.

In any case you look well prepared to greet the uninvited.

Hank

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
My current bump in the night gun;

Unless I have time to grab one of these!

·
Registered
9,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
DaveWW, I was just skimming through this thread and I saw once again your post of the M-1 Garands. It immediately brought to mind a WW-II vet who worked in my wife's office.

Joe was a member of the 99th Infantry Division, a division that would become known as "The Battle Babies". The 99th was a green untested division that arrived in Europe in late 1944. They were placed in a quiet sector in Belgium. The 99th was suddenly attacked by several German divisions, supported by a panzer division. The 99th put up a fight that was one for the books and they stopped the German offensive in their sector; we now know this offensive as the Battle of the Bulge.

Joe recounted many of his combat experiences to me, but what I remember most was his praise for his M-1 Garand. Joe talked about it with almost a reverence. I heard him say many times that he just couldn't miss with his M-1.

I walked in on Joe, at the office one day with my M-1 Garand in hand. The look on his face and the smile was reward enough. I handed the Garand to him, and he immediately cleared the weapon. He just stared at it, I saw his eyes grow moist, there wasn't any words passed between us for a few seconds, then the old warrior regained his compsure, smiled and said "I didn't remember it being this heavy."

Joe's battalion had been cut off by the Germans and had to fight it's way back to the 99th's lines taking heavy casulties as they did so. I'm sure Joe had much use for his Garand that day.

Guys like Joe are finally surrendering to father time each day, but when the chips were down and badly outnumbered there wasn't any quit in them - I'm glad I got to share time with Joe,
and thank him for his service. I'll never forget his appreciation for the M-1 Garand.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts