Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have this little 32 HE that has some damage to the nickel finish.

First off, I don't think it is factory plating. There is no "N" stamped on the rear face of the cylinder or on the grip frame or anywhere else I can find.
Correct me if I'm wrong about this, but if it were factory it would be stamped, right?

I polished it up with some Mothers Mag Polish and a felt wheel on my Dremel to try to blend the metal under the missing nickel spots into the finish, but I'm not really that happy with how it turned out. I've posted some before and after pics below.

Anyway, with the amount of damage to the finish, it is just a shooter at this point, so I am considering an experiment to try to fix the damage.

What I am considering is one of these kits
Plug N' Plate(R) Nickel Kit - Caswell Inc

Anybody have any experience with using this kit (or anything like it) to repair damage to a nickel finish? My thought is that with the amount of damage, I really can't hurt it much. Any thoughts?

20200128_165037.jpg 20200229_212502.jpg 20200128_165002.jpg 20200229_212511.jpg

·
Banned
1,476 Posts
My thought is that with the amount of damage, I really can't hurt it much.
Not much; this gun illustrates why I dislike nickel--if it's not perfect, it's probably more or less shabby-looking. A blued gun with the same amount of finish loss would not look nearly so unattractive.

I'd to see your results using this product--though I sure wouldn't raise my hopes too high for it.

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
Give it a whirl. Remember, with any plating job the prep's the thing. Polish, solvent wash etc.

I have a real soft spot for a good "shiny"

Reactions: Cliff

·
Registered
23,200 Posts
Can't hurt the finish @ this point, I'd go for it. Show us the result.

Reactions: Cliff

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
Modern nickel plating is far superior to that used 100 yrs ago. Also have to admit minor scratches & cylinder drag line are less noticeable.
Oh the old stuff holds up pretty good too.

Poor care will ruin any finish.

Reactions: Cliff and Injunbro

·
Banned
1,476 Posts
Oh the old stuff holds up pretty good too.
I've sure seen plenty of it in terrible, peeling, & flaking, condition, esp. on long guns that haven't spent most of their existence safely stored in a dresser drawer. In the 19th C., nickel was applied directly to the steel, without a flash coating of copper applied first, as later became standard practice until superseded by whatever high-tech method is used today.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts