Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this up for sale in my area, it’s gotta be a refinished highway patrolman right? From what I’ve read there are exceedingly rare factory nickel ones. This isn’t one right? I know that intellectually but every body hopes to find that needle in a hay stack. I believe it dates to mid70s.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
Hey D,

With the Blue "Star"...that is the way S&W did them....

Hard telling, with out a "Letter"..??

If reasonable, and you have the loot, my suggestion...BUY NOW! LOL

That will be one "Enabler Point"......please! LOL

Later, Mark

·
Registered
12,666 Posts
From the book, the original few nickel were done for the Florida Highway Patrol and the were older ones with a 5" barrel. The later ones were a batch of 5 in satin nickel, made as sales samples. since that is too new for batch 1 and too shiny for batch 2, I would say its a refinish, but it looks good. The trigger and hammer are case hardened and the ejector star is blued as they should be. If it locks up good its worth north of $600 as a shooter from what I have seen of prices

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah he wants more than that, it’s going for a $1000, I told him if he’s certain he should letter it and it would be worth a lot more. I was aware of the 5 inch FHP guns but in looking further I found some talk of a small number of 4” nickel 28s. I couldn’t find anything more than that, not a picture, not a post from Doc44 saying he owned one and I think he’s got one of everything. I was surprised the star was blue, the letterings nice, the hammer and trigger aren’t refinished I don’t think but It doesn’t have the N on the frame though. If it was the real deal I could maybe justify the expense because it’d be worth a lot more. If anybody here is interested And has more disposable income then me it’s on Florida gun trader.

·
Premium Member
make mine 45 acp 😎
3,961 Posts
nickel m28 ? its a refinish.. unless you see the letter.. at that price I'd move on .. lots of guns out there

·
Registered
3,976 Posts
Kinda new for my knowledge, but I 'm pretty sure it'd have an N stamp if it were original or a R-N in a box if it were a factory refin. Either would have been on the left grip frame.

·
Registered
10,920 Posts
Way to shiney for a factory HP finish. If the owner was sure of it being an original nickel finish, he/she would have it lettered and have an $1,800 price tag on it. Buy the gun, not the story.

·
Registered
286 Posts
So this up for sale in my area, it’s gotta be a refinished highway patrolman right? From what I’ve read there are exceedingly rare factory nickel ones. This isn’t one right? I know that intellectually but every body hopes to find that needle in a hay stack. I believe it dates to mid70s.
With the exception of a Special and small run of Model 28's that Smith and Wesson did for the F.H.P., they did not offer nickle finished Model 28's. So there should be no SPECIAL collectors price premium. If you can buy it for a decent price go for it.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I knew about the FHP ones and a small set of salesman samples made but I googled 4” nickel highway patrol and there was some discussion on the other S&W forum that a small number of 4” ones were made as well. I will see if I can turn up the link it could be incorrect info as well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts