Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up a nickel Model 38, serial #1173xx, which I think puts it in 1957, kinda by serial number, but mainly by Model stamp. An “N” on the barrel flat says factory nickel to me. The stocks appear to be ivory. Engraved owners name on the side plate didn’t bother me. I paid too much, but those ivory stocks talked to me. Just hope they prove to be real ! Hank

·
Premium Member
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
My first nickel revolver. And my first set of what I think are ivory stocks. What do the experts think about them? Real? I think I remember that a small scraping sample on a knife blade should, when burned, should smell like burning hair. Hank

·
Premium Member
11,463 Posts
No idea but I'm pulling for you. Good luck.

·
Registered
9,506 Posts
Heat a needle to red hot on your stove then touch the back of your grips if it melts then you will know it's not Ivory but if it smells like burning hair then your good to go.

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
I would have paid too much also. The engraving and stocks make it special to me. Anybody can have a factory plain looking gun. I know you buy the gun not the story but sometimes.....

·
Premium Member
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. I couldn’t remember the exact method to test for genuine ivory. And , yes series guy, sometimes you do “ buy “ the story. In this case , it looks to me like the nickel and the stocks are in very good shape. The medallions in the stocks show some wear. This piece has been carried often. I’ll clean and lubricate it, then get a range report. I’m looking forward to it! Hank

·
Premium Member
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The stocks have a crack that runs across the right stock panel at the screw escutcheon. I don’t think plastic would crack in this manner. I’m thinking I might be able to repair/ strengthen the crack area With some epoxy glue and a tooth pick. Advice is most welcome. New arena for me! Hank

1 - 11 of 11 Posts