Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all... Years ago I inherited a nickel S&W 357 revolver, model 28-2, Highway patrolman, serial # N278xx. There is also a 1 stamped after the serial number. From posts I’ve read, there may be less than 50 that exist. Is this correct and should I mail in letters to the S&W Historical place for authencity/historical information?

·
Registered
14,476 Posts
The few stainless that were made for the Florida Highway Patrol all had a 5 inch barrel, and would have pre-dated the 28-2. Is there an N stamped on the grip frame, under the grips?. Is the ejector star blued or nickel?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The ejector is blued. As for serial #, I couldn’t get grips off and I didn’t want to mess them up even though I know they’re not original. But gun has been in my family for almost 40 years. And the 25 made for FHP were all stamped FHP, and I believe they were all black with the 5” barrel. This is not one of them.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Beautiful ! Yes, they're rare, but rare is probably the wrong word to use. Not many would be better. The past 2 I've seen sold for a couple hundred over a regular 28.

·
Registered
5,418 Posts
The few stainless that were made for the Florida Highway Patrol all had a 5 inch barrel, and would have pre-dated the 28-2. Is there an N stamped on the grip frame, under the grips?. Is the ejector star blued or nickel?
Stainless ???? No nickel FHP guns for Staff Officers

·
Registered
423 Posts
One of the very best revolvers S&W ever made, and nickel to boot!

·
Registered
5,324 Posts
THAT is a very excellent good looking nickled 28-2! Original? That's above my pay grade! But, if that gorgeous thumper was in my possession, I'd drop it into a nice Bianchi 111 Cyclone holster ... or a El Paso Tom Threepersons holster, grab some ammunition and head out for a day at the range! Sincerely. bruce.

·
Registered
14,476 Posts
If you suspect that is a factory nickel M28, it would be worth a letter. If it letters as nickel, the factory confirmation would be worth well over the price of documentation

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Here’s a factory nickel FHP Model 27. Those Florida Troopers liked their S&W revolvers!beautiful grips.

B9EA5AC8-A011-49A8-8009-E1AF27097EF9.jpeg

B70027FE-0119-440B-8139-9AF12996E1D1.jpeg

4FAE0D34-16F2-484A-A02B-DF5203E713F2.jpeg

1 - 16 of 16 Posts